Throttling and warranty isues

Options
Felix397
Felix397 Member Posts: 10 New User
Hello, I would like to clarify a certain situation regarding the complaint. I am writing on the forum because on the acer website they said that everything is fine with my laptop. My specification is rtx 2060 i5 9300h. I sent the laptop to the service under warranty because there is a very large throtttling, clock speed drops to 2300mhz and often below 800mhz. There are cuts in the games. I have 200 fps and suddenly 130 and there is a noticeable drop in performance. Overall performance is lower than it should be, my colleague has a laptop with a 1660ti the same processor and is easily pulling more fps everywhere. The temperature reaches 97C, each program or benchmark shows thortling. I described everything thoroughly and sent it to the site. I was told it was repairable so I agreed. The fan was replaced and a new paste was applied. When I got the laptop, the temperature did not differ even by 1 C, everything was the same. I tested it and sent it again. The service decided that everything was fine and sent my laptop back. I will add that before each shipment, the laptop was fully loaded, after the first arrival it came completely covered with dust and various dirt on the screen. The service said it was my fault and I should be glad they accepted it. I was in school, and so was the store staff who mediated and my mother with whom I was at the time. It looked like it had been opened and thrown into an angle for 6 weeks. I have photos before sending as it looked. On the second sending, there was no dust anymore, but the same dirt on the screen, nothing was written about cleanliness because I made sure that the description was very clean. They told me that they had been doing many hours of testing and everything was fine. The man from acer tried to convince me by phone that it would be enough to update windows update and everything will solve itself ... seriously? security fix? .. I will add that everything was up to date before each upload .. windows update, graphics card drivers, programs, bios etc .. I showed them pictures with Hwmonitor and Nitrosense as asked. I have a lot of them as it looks and I can do them at any time by testing the laptop ..

I wanted to ask what can I do in this situation? The website will probably reject my next request to join. The laptop is unusable, there are very high dips, it gets hot in some places and overall performance is very poor. The clock speed of the laptop is 2.4 - 4.1, and on average on each core is 2300 and it drops to 800mhz with moments.

What should I do? I called them many times, but to no avail. I did not expect such service, because such a company .. I have guarantees for another 13 months.

I will be very grateful for your answer, Regards!

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @Felix397,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• Felix397
    Options
    Hey, is AN515. I5 9300h RTx 2060 1x8. That's what you asking?
  • Ingrid-Acer
    Ingrid-Acer Administrator Posts: 3,304 Community Administrator
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hello Felix397,

Sorry for any inconveniences this process might have caused you, I also apologize for the experience you had with the notebook conditions when it was shipped back to you. Would be helpful to know if it happens when playing any games or a specific game. I also recommend checking for apps running in the background, usually the support team try to reproduce the issue described when running tests, because that is very important to detail exactly the apps that were being used when the issue occurs. 

About the unit temperature, I would like to clarify that the temperatures of game units like Nitro are designed to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional laptops. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature peaks greater than 98 degrees Celsius without damaging the components. It is common for PC temperatures to temporarily increase during intensive use of games or graphics usage. If the system finds excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from damage.

Best Regards, 

Acer-Ingrid 

[The Acer Community is not a direct portal to Customer service, the Acer Forum Discussions were designed as a peer to peer support community where Acer users help other Acer users. Many Acer employees (Moderators), read the various topics posted here and you will notice that some Acer employees interact with members when appropriate, primarily we want the community to be a place where members can exchange their own advice and ideas. To direct contact with Acer,  please contact your local support channels.]
  • Felix397
    Options
    Hello, that's alright. Well i know ,laptop is protecting himself to not damage anything , that's called throttling of it's too high and is happening whole time. It happens very often in  games, Doom eternal average fps is so lower than should be. In League of legends or valorant i see just random freeze spikes because of that. I understand in gaming laptops temps are high i get it but  everywhere is prove of throttling. Laptop frequency is 2,4 - 4,1  average while playing is always below 3000mhz , mostly 2200 -2600 but i see huge drops to 800mhz for few secs like I'm said earlier. Even in some only YouTube or Netflix temps are going even to 70 having only YouTube or Netflix opened. I get it it will be hotter, but 96C and huge drops below half frequency isn't normal. Official service frying to convice is alright, that's Just a joke.. i don't know what to do . If they repaste like they're said I could notice even 1C drops is p difference.. probably I'll go to normal service and pay that's Just a shamefull..

But i can wait for some solutions, thank you!

Regards
  • Mrmigs08
    Mrmigs08 Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Felix397 said:
    Hello, that's alright. Well i know ,laptop is protecting himself to not damage anything , that's called throttling of it's too high and is happening whole time. It happens very often in  games, Doom eternal average fps is so lower than should be. In League of legends or valorant i see just random freeze spikes because of that. I understand in gaming laptops temps are high i get it but  everywhere is prove of throttling. Laptop frequency is 2,4 - 4,1  average while playing is always below 3000mhz , mostly 2200 -2600 but i see huge drops to 800mhz for few secs like I'm said earlier. Even in some only YouTube or Netflix temps are going even to 70 having only YouTube or Netflix opened. I get it it will be hotter, but 96C and huge drops below half frequency isn't normal. Official service frying to convice is alright, that's Just a joke.. i don't know what to do . If they repaste like they're said I could notice even 1C drops is p difference.. probably I'll go to normal service and pay that's Just a shamefull..

But i can wait for some solutions, thank you!

Regards

Take unit apart and repaste and re apply pads, these units are NOT designed to run this hot. They are designed to hit a 90C limit max before thermal throttling will begin dropping the clocks and power to gradually bring the temps down

If the repaste doesn't work it might be that the dies need lapping flat again, there are guides on YouTube to check if they are making good contact with the heatsinks.

Another option that's worth looking into is undervolting, see if it's possible on your unit 
  • Felix397
    Options
    Everything was alright since first half of  year. I have played only in League of legends and a bit in doom external. At The beginning temps were a bit lowered i never seen a throttling. Now is whole time, i don't know what to say it just happened from nowhere. I probably don't send anymore laptop to Acer. I don't trust them , for The first time they even reduc Max procesor power from 100% to 99% to off max performance and reduce temps. That's solving nothing and they're hide it. That's Just a joke. That's just ridiculous, never seen something that bad. About temps i did a lot of tests with Hwmonitor and nitro Sense like Acer said. Imagine one dude of them use these programs, another don't cause they're not legit. That's terrible , you don't need apologize for bunch of id.. in my country. I don't saying whole Acer is terrible just customer service where I live. Probably I'll pay for good repair if will be possible, I'm getting tired of it. 4 months since whole sytuation happens and nothing is better.

Edit, sorry for grammatic , that's not my main language. In Poland nobody's even respond.

Thank you for ur time, greets!
  • Mrmigs08
    Options
    Felix397 said:
    Everything was alright since first half of  year. I have played only in League of legends and a bit in doom external. At The beginning temps were a bit lowered i never seen a throttling. Now is whole time, i don't know what to say it just happened from nowhere. I probably don't send anymore laptop to Acer. I don't trust them , for The first time they even reduc Max procesor power from 100% to 99% to off max performance and reduce temps. That's solving nothing and they're hide it. That's Just a joke. That's just ridiculous, never seen something that bad. About temps i did a lot of tests with Hwmonitor and nitro Sense like Acer said. Imagine one dude of them use these programs, another don't cause they're not legit. That's terrible , you don't need apologize for bunch of id.. in my country. I don't saying whole Acer is terrible just customer service where I live. Probably I'll pay for good repair if will be possible, I'm getting tired of it. 4 months since whole sytuation happens and nothing is better.

Edit, sorry for grammatic , that's not my main language. In Poland nobody's even respond.

Thank you for ur time, greets!
    I think quite a few times service places can't stress machines enough to identify issues so they send back, the hardware can survive at these temps but you lost to much performance because of it, 

In the mean time then you can try a laptop cooler or some erasers or Lego blocks to lift the laptop higher so it can take in more air in the fan system from underneath, try get it higher from the table. This should drop temperatures nicely and perhaps stabilise your clocks.
  • Felix397
    Options
    Yeah I'll tell the service what i exactly expect and pay for it. Just in case they will check whole laptop and clean( I will lose a warranty but i don't spend 1k euro to have that kind of isues..). I tired undervolt but didn't have any results from that ( exactly The same frequency and temp's) I took everything on default like it was. I'm thinking about thermal grizzly krynaout to apply, prob in Acer they're apply some weak paste or didn't do anything.. I'm just worried if this work or nitro serie is just bad i don't know..

Thanks for your answer!

Greets
  • Felix397
    Options
    I know around 90 is ,, alright'' but i see 96 or sometimes 97. Service of Acer said they're see 95, everything is alright... And didn't even respond about very bad frequency when i said it couple of times..
  • Mrmigs08
    Options
    Felix397 said:
    I know around 90 is ,, alright'' but i see 96 or sometimes 97. Service of Acer said they're see 95, everything is alright... And didn't even respond about very bad frequency when i said it couple of times..
    90c is where the computer bios should be holding max performance and boost ect so 96c clearly means a fault if the boost and frequency isn't scaling enough to lower it.
  • Felix397
    Options
    Yeah i know that, but they're don't or just don't care
  • Mrmigs08
    Options
    Defo suggest you try undervolt it, it won't damage anything and should perform similar without all that heat !

You can try intel tuning utility or throttlestop and Google a few guides and you will be able to find a better place for it to sit without throttling,

Another thing you could try is going in your advanced processor settings and set max processor state to 90 percent see if it helps 
  • Felix397
    Options
    I told you i tired undervolt with these and didn't work.  Reduce procesor power solving nothing. I will lose 25% performance , yeah maybe lower temps but frequency is the same i tested, anyway laptop should work normally on 100%
  • Mrmigs08
    Options
    It will work if set correctly, view this thread here and try the reccomended, you won't lose performance for undervolt and you need to get temperatures under control if you want laptop to function normally, if not then buy some high grade CPU paste and redo,

Even local shop might not even fix this issue so best to try everything.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/590566/what-are-the-best-undervolt-settings-for-i5-9300h-nitro-5-an515-54
  • Mrmigs08
    Options
    I never asked are fans set to max in nitro software ?
  • Felix397
    Options
    Thanks for Link , I will try it after repair anyway, cause I'm pretty sure thermal paste is bad and needs a change. Yeah fans are goings on high i tried on Max is the same
  • Mrmigs08
    Options
    Felix what speed is your fan showing in max? Maybe the fan unit has gone bad?

One of mine is starting to make a faint noise, I think possible maybe I have one dying also?
  • Felix397
    Options
    Idk around 5k. Acer service told me one of fans were broken and they are change it
     But anyway, like I'm said i don't believe in any word what they are said to me