Chromebook won't boot, no power light on Spin13 - CP713-1WN-53NF

Options
MikeS_inFL
MikeS_inFL Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I've tried the hard reset routines and all but still no power light and no boot.  
I couldn't find specifically which one applied to this device, so I tried all I could find.

Also checked that the power supply is working on another device.
Are there other things to try?

Thanks

Here's what I tried for Hard Reset:
Held down REFRESH and POWER at same time for 10 seconds, nothing.
Held down VOL UP and POWER at same time for 10 seconds, nothing.
Held down REFRESH for 5 seconds and then POWER for 1 second, nothing.
And, just in case, I held down VOL UP for 5 seconds and then POWER for 1 second, nothing.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    edited October 2021
    Options
    It sounds as if the power from the supply isn't getting to the battery. Since you have tested the supply itself then we need to look at the power circuit. Are you still in warranty? If so it might be easiest to just contact Acer support and get a ticket started for repair.
    There is a daughter card on the side of the laptop where the USB-C port is located. That card has a wired cable (five or six wires IIRC) and two ribbon cables that go to the motherboard. The wired cable is what takes the 20V from the USB-C power input and sends it to the motherboard. The motherboard then tweaks that, if needed, and uses it to charge the battery. The battery is connected to the motherboard using another wired cable (eight wires I think). If any of those wired cables are not fully seated in their connectors you might have this issue. Same thing if one of the wires is cracked internally. Neither is common, there is no stress on those cables to pull them loose, unless it's been apart.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MikeS_inFL
    MikeS_inFL Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, thanks for replying. 
    Do you know if the C ports on both sides are connected? 
    I've tried plugging in the p/s cable to each side and neither works. 
    It's not under warranty any more, but I haven't taken it apart yet - I'm beginning to think the battery has died but don't understand why it would be built so that it wouldn't work without it.  Those components aren't that expensive.  I use them in the MRI devices I design at work and they're quite common now.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    MikeS_inFL,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

OR book the unit for repair service,

https://customerselfcare.acer.com/CS2/#/

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, both sides support charging (I thought only the one side did), so my thoughts about the daughter card don't fit. Your best bet is to go ahead and open it to see if anything jumps out at you. Test voltages at the battery connector... That should help show if it's the battery or the charge circuit. Spec says it's a 3 cell 4670mAh battery.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.