No speed difference after RAM upgrading in Dual rank (but not dual channel?) Swift 3 SF315-52G

Velzares
Velzares Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Swift and Spin Series

Hello!

My laptop is Swift 3 SF315-52G, Intel Core i7-8550U, 1.80Ghz, SSD . It came with 8Gb DDR4 Ram, 2400 Mhz, CAS 17, from Hynix. For upgrading, I added a DDR4 SDRAM module, Kingston model KVR26S19D8/16: 16Gb, 2666 Mhz, CAS 19. It worked immediately, so I have 24 Gb now. When I saw that CPU-Z said "Dual" channel, I thought "great"! Moreover, CPU-Z shows the new module at 2666 in Dual “rank”.

BUT... Task manager just says 2400 Mhz about speed, without any further detail on single or dual channel. In fact, general speed is almost the same! Is it normal? May be 2666 but CAS 19 is like 2400 CAS 17? Indeed, my first interest was not speed but more Gbs, and perhaps speed was already good for my use. I don’t know even how do you check speed upgrade. However, I expected more from Dual channel… Anyway, which is the difference between Dual channel and Dual Ranks? Perhaps my laptop continues to use the single channel of my old Hynix module in the first place, but I don’t notice any difference when it takes over 8 Gb… Finally, perhaps did I not buy a genuine Kingston? (I noticed that its 8 rectangular components -2 Gb each one- are not in the same way as in publication pic).

Below, pics from CPU-Z. Slots 2 and 4 appear empty, but slot 3 with the new 16 Gb.

Thanks for any explanation!

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,450 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, CPU-Z can be confusing here. You have mismatched memory sizes, so dual channel mode isn't used, an 8GB stick to add to the initial 8GB would have given you dual channel mode. The system chipset supports 2400MT/s (1200MHz x 2), so all memory will run at 2400 even if it supports more.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Velzares said:

Hello!

My laptop is Swift 3 SF315-52G, Intel Core i7-8550U, 1.80Ghz, SSD . It came with 8Gb DDR4 Ram, 2400 Mhz, CAS 17, from Hynix. For upgrading, I added a DDR4 SDRAM module, Kingston model KVR26S19D8/16: 16Gb, 2666 Mhz, CAS 19. It worked immediately, so I have 24 Gb now. When I saw that CPU-Z said "Dual" channel, I thought "great"! Moreover, CPU-Z shows the new module at 2666 in Dual “rank”.

BUT... Task manager just says 2400 Mhz about speed, without any further detail on single or dual channel. In fact, general speed is almost the same! Is it normal? May be 2666 but CAS 19 is like 2400 CAS 17? Indeed, my first interest was not speed but more Gbs, and perhaps speed was already good for my use. I don’t know even how do you check speed upgrade. However, I expected more from Dual channel… Anyway, which is the difference between Dual channel and Dual Ranks? Perhaps my laptop continues to use the single channel of my old Hynix module in the first place, but I don’t notice any difference when it takes over 8 Gb… Finally, perhaps did I not buy a genuine Kingston? (I noticed that its 8 rectangular components -2 Gb each one- are not in the same way as in publication pic).

Below, pics from CPU-Z. Slots 2 and 4 appear empty, but slot 3 with the new 16 Gb.

Velzares, i
    f you look at the two memory modules speeds from CPUz the two modules in slot #1 and slot #3 they are different specs, memory combinations don't work like you say "In fact, general speed is almost the same!" as they are NOT one module is a DDR4-2400MHz and the other one is a DDR4-2666MHz so they are NOT the same! Memory speed combinations always work and operate tandemly and in combination to whatever the lowest speed memory and/or if both are the same to their specified speed but, in your case the memory operates to the lowest DDR4-2400MHz speed. Btw and also, your Swift-3 SF315-52G specs from Acer recommended a memory at total and max of 16GB (into its 2x slots) at either 1x 16GB DDR4-2666MHz or 2x 8GB DDR4-2666MHz or the lower 8GB total of 2x 4GB DDR4-2666Mhz but, this MIGHT NOT BE CORRECT as your Swift might be able to handle a total of 32GB, like one of my older laptops the V3-571G that Acer recommends max of 8GB total (2x 4GB DDR4-1600Mhz) but under the Crucial System Scanner they recommend 16GB 2x 8GB at DDR3-1600MHz and I have upgraded to that and it works perfectly. 

Btw, the OEM Kingston 16GB or other 16GB modules recommended by Acer for your Swift-3 SF315-52G is the "Memory KINGSTON SO-DIMM DDRI4-2666 16GB ACR26D4S9D8ME-16 LF+HF 1024*8 - Acer part #: KN.16G07.028 or Memory HYNIX SO-DIMM DDRIV 2666 16GB HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK LF+HF 1024*8 1Xnm, AL - Acer part #: KN.16G0G.031 or Memory MICRON SO-DIMM DDRIV 2666 16GB MTA16ATF2G64HZ-2G6E1 LF+HF 1024*8 Z11B - Acer part #: KN.16G04.010.

What I would strongly suggest and what is the best thing for you to do is to use the Crucial System Scanner and see what Crucial suggests as the max and total memory for your Swift-3 SF315-52G is? As Crucial states categorically that...you may have noticed that when you check the maximum amount of supported memory for your system, that we recommend more than your system or motherboard manufacturer has listed on their technical specification. The good news is that this is not a mistake! On occasion you will find that due to system updates and technological advances, some hardware may be able to support more memory compared to when it was originally manufactured. At Crucial®, we ensure that the higher amount of RAM is rigorously tested and is backed by our compatibility guarantee. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,450 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, CPU-Z can be confusing here. You have mismatched memory sizes, so dual channel mode isn't used, an 8GB stick to add to the initial 8GB would have given you dual channel mode. The system chipset supports 2400MT/s (1200MHz x 2), so all memory will run at 2400 even if it supports more.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Velzares said:

Hello!

Velzares, i
    f you look at the two memory modules speeds from CPUz the two modules in slot #1 and slot #3 they are different specs, memory combinations don't work like you say "In fact, general speed is almost the same!" as they are NOT one module is a DDR4-2400MHz and the other one is a DDR4-2666MHz so they are NOT the same! Memory speed combinations always work and operate tandemly and in combination to whatever the lowest speed memory and/or if both are the same to their specified speed but, in your case the memory operates to the lowest DDR4-2400MHz speed. Btw and also, your Swift-3 SF315-52G specs from Acer recommended a memory at total and max of 16GB (into its 2x slots) at either 1x 16GB DDR4-2666MHz or 2x 8GB DDR4-2666MHz or the lower 8GB total of 2x 4GB DDR4-2666Mhz but, this MIGHT NOT BE CORRECT as your Swift might be able to handle a total of 32GB, like one of my older laptops the V3-571G that Acer recommends max of 8GB total (2x 4GB DDR4-1600Mhz) but under the Crucial System Scanner they recommend 16GB 2x 8GB at DDR3-1600MHz and I have upgraded to that and it works perfectly. 

Btw, the OEM Kingston 16GB or other 16GB modules recommended by Acer for your Swift-3 SF315-52G is the "Memory KINGSTON SO-DIMM DDRI4-2666 16GB ACR26D4S9D8ME-16 LF+HF 1024*8 - Acer part #: KN.16G07.028 or Memory HYNIX SO-DIMM DDRIV 2666 16GB HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK LF+HF 1024*8 1Xnm, AL - Acer part #: KN.16G0G.031 or Memory MICRON SO-DIMM DDRIV 2666 16GB MTA16ATF2G64HZ-2G6E1 LF+HF 1024*8 Z11B - Acer part #: KN.16G04.010.

What I would strongly suggest and what is the best thing for you to do is to use the Crucial System Scanner and see what Crucial suggests as the max and total memory for your Swift-3 SF315-52G is? As Crucial states categorically that...you may have noticed that when you check the maximum amount of supported memory for your system, that we recommend more than your system or motherboard manufacturer has listed on their technical specification. The good news is that this is not a mistake! On occasion you will find that due to system updates and technological advances, some hardware may be able to support more memory compared to when it was originally manufactured. At Crucial®, we ensure that the higher amount of RAM is rigorously tested and is backed by our compatibility guarantee. 
  • Velzares

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    My choice was more Gb instead of dual channel. Then CPU-Z info was a surprise. But I think you are right, CPU-Z is wrong in this case… Thanks for your answer!
  • Velzares

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Velzares said:

Hello!

Velzares, i

Many thanks for such technical details and advices! From several sites, I knew that my laptop supports up to 32 Gb. I also took account of the list you had already sent on another post about possible sticks. But in Argentina I didn’t find the Kingston model you highlight, and there is no one from Hynix (I don’t remember what about Micron). Finally, at least I think that the dual channel will work fine when replacing someday the old 8Gb by another stick of 16Gb at 2666 Mhz.
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    @Velzares

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below.   The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website  given below .  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .   Please chose the options and try it.   It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide.  We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options.   You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.          

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Velzares said:
    Many thanks for such technical details and advices! From several sites, I knew that my laptop supports up to 32 Gb. I also took account of the list you had already sent on another post about possible sticks. But in Argentina I didn’t find the Kingston model you highlight, and there is no one from Hynix (I don’t remember what about Micron). Finally, at least I think that the dual channel will work fine when replacing someday the old 8Gb by another stick of 16Gb at 2666 Mhz.
    Velzares =) Venezuela must be very friendly with the CCP of China as they have big influence in your country, so and surely you must be able to buy from Ali Express and buy memory that is made in China. Match the same memory specs of the memory modules of the Kingston, Hynix or Micron from a Chinese RAM manufacturer (which there are allot) as the same specs will work. 
  • Velzares

Tinkerer

@William_mk2 and @StevenGen thank you for your additional advices. I had already visited crucial web and got very nice info from there. But at least in Argentina, Crucial sticks are about twice expensive (depending on few differences of models and sellers), while Kingston is also very good and reliable. I don't know Ali Express, but I will take it into account as a possible alternative when I need (and have money enough for) ssd or still more ram upgrade. Thanks!
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★