WINDOW 8.1 TO WINDOW 10

Kokkash
Kokkash Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Windows 10
Since a few weeks ago have been trying to upgrade my 8.1 Acer laptop to window 10 but it used to crash along the way, Please can anyone help me that why am here 

Comments

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Any AV installed? That's usually the culprit :) , if not what point does the install get to? This will dictate what log file we need to examine, at a total guess do you have one of these

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.err

C:\Windows\setupapi.log

C:\Windows\Logs\MoSetup\BlueBox.log

• Kokkash

Tinkerer

No, I don't I just watched one tutorial on how to upgrade my Pc then I downloaded and load the software MediaCreationTool21H1  then I follow all the procedures listed in the video. I will be happy if you can help me with that Sir/Ma
  • Leostat
    What point does the install get to? There's three stages to the installer , and it should reboot twice during the process , depending on which stage depends on what log files are generated :) 

Do any of the logs I've highlighted exist on your device? 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Kokkash,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• Kokkash

Tinkerer

It used to crash at the first reboot stage once the percent reach 74-75
  • Kokkash

Tinkerer

Easwar please check the image 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    @Kokkash that screen doesn't show us your actual model number. It should be something like A5xx-xxx-xxxx. Is it a laptop or desktop? How much space is free on the drive?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kokkash

Tinkerer

@billsey have checked the receipt the model number there is ACER TRAVELMATE P453 and I also have almost 228G free space
  • Leostat
    So you should have one of these logs : 

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\miglog.xml

C:\Windows\setupapi.log

C:\Windows\Logs\MoSetup\BlueBox.log

Do any of them exist?
  • Kokkash

Tinkerer

Leostat, how can I do one of the solutions you listed or you have any youtube video link you can let me know so that I can watch it 
  • billsey
    There are the TravelMate P453-M and TravelMate P453-MG model lines, yours is one of them. The G model has the NVIDIA GPU in it, the one without the G just uses the Intel HD graphics.
    Start with Windows 8.1 fully updated, so run Windows Update and make sure everything is complete. Reboot after the last update. Then use these steps:

• Head over to the Windows 10 download page and download the tool to install the OS.
    • Alternatively, you can download the full ISO of Windows 10 from this page (may redirect to the Media Creation Tool download page if opened on Windows).
    • Open the Media Creation Tool and select ‘Upgrade this PC now’.
    Have you done all these steps?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kokkash

Tinkerer

Leostat, how can I do one of the solutions you listed, or do you have any youtube video link you can let me know so that I can watch it 
  • Leostat
    they are not solutions, they are log files. In theory they should exist on your machine, and should tell us what is wrong :) It will be unique to your machine though so nothing you can youtube im afraid! 

It would be identifying which log files exist, and which have information which tells us what is wrong. Most likley reason is there is a driver windows 10 isnt liking, usually this is Anti virus which is why i was wondering ig you had any installed. if not, its probs some other driver which is crashing during install

In theory those logs should highlight whats wrong, but as the windows install process is a mess, its not really possible to offer more than to check the logs!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    Kokkash said:
    Easwar please check the image 

Kokkash, my suggestion to is this 
    as I've also done many upgrades and as an example that is similar to your TravelMate specs with an old laptop the V3-561G that came OEM with an Ivy Bridge CPU i7-3610QM and it had 8GB memory that I've upgraded from Win-8.1 to Win-10 Pro and it works smoothly and very adequately with Win-10 pro. First, your TravelMate hardware specs is on the border of handling Win-10 Pro OS (which it will be automatically upgraded to from Win-8.1 ) also, the i3-3110M Ivy Bridge CPU is far too slow and the 4GB memory and the spinner 2.5" HDD is inadequate for Win-10 Pro. I would (if you are prepared to spend any upgrade money on this laptop?) upgrade the Ivy Bridge CPU to a higher i7-3610QM (that is fitted OEM to my V3-571G) then I would upgrade the memory to its max 8GB into its two slots at 4GB DIMM's that this laptop supports of either DDR3-1333MHz or DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM's and I also strongly recommend that you change the spinner 2.5" HDD to a 2.5" SSD as that is also essential..

The best way to upgrade and what I did to my V3-571G is to do a "Clean Install of Win-10" with the USB WIM and not do an upgrade, back up all your personal data and then do a clean install as that is what i did years ago as this update from Win-8.1 to Win-10 Pro is still a free upgrade. For all activation option look at this Microsoft guide "Activate Windows" as this will give you a guide of what is the best option for you to activate your new Win-10 Pro, its a very simple process. 
  • billsey
    edited September 2021
    Most often when there's a driver issue with the update, it's either the GPU or the WiFi/Bluetooth. We don't know which model you have, so it's just a guess as to which it might be. In Device Manager the GPU should be listed under Display Adapter and the WiFi under Network Adapters. Once we know what you have for those two we can better give suggestions as to a work-around.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited September 2021
    I would recommend you check if your CPU - i3-3series - is even supported by Windows 10. The other person with 3 series had i7 - 8 cores compared to yours - i3 - cores.
    It does not show your processor as supported.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045