SP513-52N-55LV - RAM upgradeable?

frugalfrugal
frugalfrugal Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

If you see here, it says maximum memory is 16GB: https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2017/4876/SP513-52N/NX.GR7AA.006.html
According to some videos I've seen, if the RAM is serviceable it must be behind the motherboard. This site says it's soldered: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/17701-acer-spin-5-sp513-52n-review/

My question is does this model have replaceable memory, whether or not it is intended as "user-replaceable", and is it one stick of 8GB or two sticks of 4GB? After the warranty is over I might attempt upgrading the RAM, but I need to know if it is one stick or two sticks.

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    This model has on-board memory only, it means the memory is soldered and can not be upgraded, I think they have worded wrongly about the maximum memory, they meant to say that the motherboard is capable of up to 16GB memory.

• largemanintheback
    largemanintheback Member Posts: 2 New User
    brummyfan2 appears to be correct. All memory is soldered onto the motherboard. I see 4 micron D9TBK chips in my unit. These are 8Gb (512x16). I assume there are another 4 on the underside of the mobo, for a total of 8GB. This will show up as two "slots" of 4GB each on many RAM scanners. The micron memory is DDR4 2400T (CL=16). The mobo is configured for dual channel. I, for one, am disappointed- I wanted to upgrade to 16GB and, with this unit, it cannot be done. (My model is SP513-52N-85LZ.)
  • largemanintheback
    largemanintheback Member Posts: 2 New User
    ...in my last post I should have said "DDR4 2400R" (CL==16) ("T" is CL17)
  • themdb123
    themdb123 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2021
    Really? it's soldered? It was told me and I read that was expandable when I bought it...what kind of company pretends to be professional and say nothing clearly about it. This laptop is expensive and you just cannot do a simple memory updgrade. That's not serious. That's good for a ****...never again Acer. What is gonna be the next surprise...

[Thread edited to remove inappropriate or personal content]
  • themdb123
    themdb123 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm back again just to say that's ***** ***** your laptops. You are a fraud!!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    So, three years after buying a laptop you find this out? :) Part of the 'thin' portion of 'thin and light' is no memory sockets, the sockets stick up higher from the motherboard and memory chips.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ingrid-Acer
    Ingrid-Acer Administrator Posts: 3,273 Community Administrator
    Hello @themdb123

I am sorry you feel this way about your notebook. Just to clarify the Acer Community is not a direct portal to Customer service, the Acer Forum Discussions were designed as a peer to peer support community where Acer users help other Acer users. Many Acer employees (Moderators), read the various topics posted here and you will notice that some Acer employees interact with members when appropriate, primarily we want the community to be a place where members can exchange their own advice and ideas.

I recommend  contacting your local support channels or the store where the unit was purchased to get further clarifications.  

Opinions are  always welcome and we appreciate your participation, but in order to keep our community a safe and a productive environment we kindly ask  to keep the comments and interactions respectful, courteous and polite. 

Best Regards, 
    Acer-Ingrid