no bootable device spire 5 model A515-55-55R6

ron316
ron316 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
i have a aspire 5 model A515-55-55R6 icloned the drive from my older laptop wind 10 i install drive in acer and i get messageno bootable device .i go to bios boot mode and i can tchange it to legacy any help would be great

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You cannot clone Win10 from another laptop with a different serial number. The BIOS won't recognize the hidden security boot partition on the drive that stll has the old laptop's unique serial number

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    You cannot clone Win10 from another laptop with a different serial number. The BIOS won't recognize the hidden security boot partition on the drive that stll has the old laptop's unique serial number

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @ron316,

In the BIOS information page is the unit HDD is showing. 
  • ron316

Tinkerer

i ll have to check when i get home.is that in boot section
  • ron316

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    JackE said:
    i have the old laptop i dont know if the windows license is still readable on the sticker
  • ron316

Tinkerer

ok so how do i get my applications and files to new laptop
  • JackE
    (1) The HDD must be recognized in the BIOS INFORMATION tab, not the Boot tab.

(2) Did the A515-55-55R6 come with a factory operating system? If yes, the personal data and programs from the old drive can be transferred to the new drive from a USB port using a 2.5" USB-to-HDD adapter(less than $10)

(3) What brand and model is the older laptop with Win10?

(4) Was Win10 factory installed on the old laptop?

Jack E/NJ

• ron316

Tinkerer

the old laptop has widows 10 upgraded from windows 7 when yhey were doing upgrades its agateway nv55512h and i have the cable for the drive to connect to usb
  • ron316

Tinkerer

yes it does reconize the new m2 drive 1tb
  • ron316

Tinkerer

the windows 10 came with new laptop
  • JackE
    The cloned gateway drive cannot boot from the new laptop. The partitioning schemes are incompatible with your new laptop setup. You can however use FileExplore on the new laptop to easily copy the personal data and personally installed programs off this old gateway cloned drive with the 2.5" USB-to-HDD adapter to your new laptop's boot drive.

Jack E/NJ

• ron316

Tinkerer

i ll have to find a video on this for guidance this is all new to me.thanks for the info
  • JackE
    Video? Just buy the 2.5" USB-to-HDD cable adapter from Amazon. Plug the old drive into one end of the cable and plug the other end of the cable into a USB port. Do you really need a video to show you how to plug the cable in?

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @ron316,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password​​

3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. 
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​

• ron316

Tinkerer

no to transfer thank you ill try
  • JackE
    OK. Let us know if copying the files works with the USB-to-HDD adapter cable

Jack E/NJ