error message

Options
anthonytran
anthonytran Member Posts: 1 New User

my laptop fail to boot, the following is messages display: "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable PXE-M0F: Exiting broadcom PXE ROM. No bootable device---insert boot disk and press any key."

I already changed the Boot Priority order the IDE0 to number 1, and it does not boot up

Help. Thanks

Answers

• juriskg
    juriskg Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hi, did you solve your problem? 

• mjkonzie
    mjkonzie Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Hope you still have waranty on your laptop, sounds like the hdd is bad.

Mine was bad, and under a year old, I had to pay shipping, but got it fixed. My wife's hdd was bad as well, hers was under 3

months, they paid shipping both ways. Both are fixed and working well, but acer seems to have bad hdd's.

You can first try F11 to restore, or 1 of your disks hopefully you made for/to restore. Set your setup to default.

Good luck

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

F11 does not restore anything. If you're looking to restore bios defaults it would be F9. If you're looking to restore the system to it's original state it's ALT F10 on startup. This problem is often caused by an HDD being shaken out of place. An easy way to try and fix it is to remove the HDD and simply put it back in. Just because you're seeing no bootable device doesn't mean the drive is dead. It just means that there is no boot file on the drive, or the one that's on there is corrupt. If removing and reinstalling the drive doesn't work then try to do a recovery on your unit (assuming you don't have important files you could lose).

To do this, shut down the unit and then press and hold the ALT button next to the spacebar on the left. Don't let go of it at all throghout this process. Next turn on the unit, and IMMEDIATELY start tapping on F10 at the top of your keyboard while still holding ALT. Keep doing this until you see a bar that says Windows is loading files. This is the recovery manager. it will reinstall windows and repair any boot errors. If this message doesn't come up after repeated attempts then yes your HDD is dead and will need replacing.

If you have recovery disks I would suggest using them in place of the ALT F10 method I just described.

• juriskg
    Options

I'we already try to remove and put it back, and same thing happens. 
    My hdd was not shaken out of place, problems started when I configured some routerboard, install some programs for him (like netinstall), and everything was normal. I put the notebook on hibernation, and from then I couldn't boot. In bios, I disabled boot from network, and put the 1. boot device on hdd. Bios recognizes hdd, but can't boot from hdd. When I put the win7 boot cd, he started to boot, and show mi entire hdd like one partition (500GB), although I had to partitions. I have lot of data on both partitions, what I do not want to lose. Is there any solution for this, or I must format hdd?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for bad english.

• ScottyC
    Options

Don't worry about the English, you're very easy to understand. At this point the only way to fix the issue is to format and reinstall. However, you don't have to lose your files if you have another computer you can use. The fact that you've already removed the drive tells me you're more than able to handle doing a data recovery. Basically you take your drive out of this unit and plug it into another unit as a secondary drive. Then you load Windows (or any other OS) and you access the slave (secondary) drive and start saving files to that unit. This way you won't lose any when you do the recovery.

You mentioned you have mulitple partitions. It's important to note that by reinstalling windows you will only lose the primary partition. So let's say you have a 500 GB drive split into two partitions, C and D. By reinstalling windows you would lose only one partition, most likely C. So you could also use another unit to move files from the C partition to the D partition without running the risk of losing them. You likely won't fit all of your files on the one partition though so you're still going to have to copy some files onto the other unit, assuming you're able to do this or you have another unit to do it with. If not sadly the only other way would be to take the unit to a local technician to have them recover your data or just forget it and wipe it all away.

• juriskg
    Options

Thanks for answer. I have experience with the systems and laptops, and I've already tried to put the hdd on my home pc, but the pc sees it like hdd with 500GB unllocated space. Now I'm trying to find some partition recovery program, and see if there is a solution. I will post here whether or not I was able to solve the problem.

Thanks again on your help.

• ScottyC
    Options

I use ActiveAt Partition Recovery. They offer a trial, which is pretty funny considering you really only need it once. Hopefully it will help you out.

• juriskg
    Options

Problem solved. A mbr table were damaged, and I repair it with the TestDisk.
    Here you can find the program, and here tutorial for it. It is very esay, i returnd both partitions, and all my data is saved. 

I hope this will help someone. 
    Thank you all for help. 

This discussion has been closed.