Just bought a Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-620 - Have I made the right choice?

Options
raymie1986
raymie1986 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 2021 in Predator Desktops
Greetings,
Just bought a Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-620 and wanted to know how others have got on with their Acer Predator Orion 3000?

Cheers

Edited the content to hide Personal information
Acer-Erick

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,776 Pathfinder
    Options
    @raymie1986
    Its a compact , powerful and a good gaming machine. But we wont able to know how it works with other. But you can check the reviews of this unit online to know how other fell about the unit.
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • SkrubChub
    SkrubChub Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    I have also just got this and its a pretty good pc, the only issue I have ran into so far is the CPU overheating. Still looking for another CPU cooler to fix that issue.
  • raymie1986
    Options
    Cheers guys, coming from a custom built machine with full ATX case and the whistles and bells this was step down in regards to aesthetics but I've got an RTX 3070 and upgraded CPU so can't complain. Yes glad I bought it but cooling does worry me. I bought the extended warranty for three years so happy to game away on it in the confidence I've got a three year warranty for £30.
  • Fingarn
    Fingarn Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi @raymie1986. I have had mine for about two weeks. It is a good looking little machine. I hope I don't worry you too much now, but I have had a few quarrels with my computer over these weeks. CPU temp goes up >95C. Fans are very loud (average 90dB on full fans) and needs to be in full speed when doing ANY gaming. Throttling and freezing occurs if any of the USB 3.0 ports are used under heavy load. Quite a few similar mentions on this community regarding similar issues. 

To handle this I have so far uppgraded the back fan to a Noctua NF-A9. I have installed ThrottleStop and disabled Turbo on the CPU. With these measures the machine runs smoothly and quietly. However, I can't fully say, but I think I get some occasional lag due to the disabled Turbo. Next step is to swap the front fan and loose some RGB :-( but hopefully gain quieter and better cooling. I think it might be to much of a challenge to swap the CPU fan, but it may be worth trying to refit the original one with new cooling paste.

I hope that machine was a bit of a bad apple and that others do better. Please, if you have time, get back with an update to tell that your machine runs like a clockwork. 
  • vOiDW4LK3r
    vOiDW4LK3r Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    DO NOT disable your CPUs turbo boost. It is an intended feature. I was getting high CPU temps, thats because the intel CPU stock cooler is ***** that comes with the PC. The best thing to do would be to replace the CPU cooler with an aftermarket one. OR... you can do what I did. Simply download a software to unlock your CPU fan curve and set a software controlled fan curve. I recommend Argus Monitor for this. I did this and now my CPU never goes above 75 degrees at max load and is actually normally at around 65 degrees on max load. And I dont notice it any louder because I set the fans to only ramp up very high once temps get to 70 degrees or higher. Only happens when gaming on max settings, and I usually have my headphones on for that anyways. The case fans are actually pretty decent, air flow isn't bad in the case itself. Also I recommend downloading MSI after burner and setting a custom fan curve for the GPU as well. I have the 3060ti variant. Doing this also ensures my GPU never goes above 75 degrees and I dont get thermal throttling of any kind. 
    I will eventually be replacing the CPU cooler and making a few mods like adding another exhaust fan to tht top of the case and maybe getting a new exhaust fan for the back of the PC too. Honestly this is a very capable machine for a pre-built. The motherboard is actually pretty decent for a 10th gen intel board with wi-fi. Anywho, follow my instructions in this post and you will no longer have any problems with thermals. Also I run my case fans at 70% when gaming. It is slightly noisy but TBH it drowns out the coil whine from the GPU, and I wear headphones when I game anyways so its not an issue for me. Ill sacrifice a bit of noise for more preformance and a nice nifty small form factor that fits perfectly on my tiny desk in my small bedroom. 
  • raymie1986
    Options
    DO NOT disable your CPUs turbo boost. It is an intended feature. I was getting high CPU temps, thats because the intel CPU stock cooler is ***** that comes with the PC. The best thing to do would be to replace the CPU cooler with an aftermarket one. OR... you can do what I did. Simply download a software to unlock your CPU fan curve and set a software controlled fan curve. I recommend Argus Monitor for this. I did this and now my CPU never goes above 75 degrees at max load and is actually normally at around 65 degrees on max load. And I dont notice it any louder because I set the fans to only ramp up very high once temps get to 70 degrees or higher. Only happens when gaming on max settings, and I usually have my headphones on for that anyways. The case fans are actually pretty decent, air flow isn't bad in the case itself. Also I recommend downloading MSI after burner and setting a custom fan curve for the GPU as well. I have the 3060ti variant. Doing this also ensures my GPU never goes above 75 degrees and I dont get thermal throttling of any kind. 
    I will eventually be replacing the CPU cooler and making a few mods like adding another exhaust fan to tht top of the case and maybe getting a new exhaust fan for the back of the PC too. Honestly this is a very capable machine for a pre-built. The motherboard is actually pretty decent for a 10th gen intel board with wi-fi. Anywho, follow my instructions in this post and you will no longer have any problems with thermals. Also I run my case fans at 70% when gaming. It is slightly noisy but TBH it drowns out the coil whine from the GPU, and I wear headphones when I game anyways so its not an issue for me. Ill sacrifice a bit of noise for more preformance and a nice nifty small form factor that fits perfectly on my tiny desk in my small bedroom. 
    Thanks vOiDW4LK3r,
    Really helpful info. I play with headphones as well so never hear the thing until I take them off. Thanks for this info and I'll certainly look into this as I've just ran it out of the box really and not adjusted anything, but is a cracking wee machine.

Cheers.