Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - Predator PO5-600s - < 30 FPS

Manxie
Manxie Member Posts: 55 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited June 2021 in Predator Den
Hi,

I've just bought a new Predator PO5-600s that in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is currently giving a framerate of less than 30 FPS as I try to set it up.

Specs are:  

i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz   3.00 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super

SSD with 131 GB used and 107 GB  free

HDD with 238 GB used and 693 GB free

The initial game launcher (50 GB) is on the SSD and the remainder is on the HDD (131GB).  

It's fluctuating between 26 and 31 FPS with the aircraft on the ground and the settings set to Medium.

Is anybody able to advise whether:

1:  The low frame rate is down to the GPU?  It doesn't seem to be particularly stressed.

• In Ultra FPS was 24 FPS - GPU was at 53% and 78C and the CPU was at 55%.
  • In High-End the FPS was 27 FPS - GPU 49% and 76C and the CPU was at 56%.
  • In Medium the FPS was 28/31 FPS - GPU 44% and 74C and the CPU at 57%.
  • In Low-End the FPS was 30FPS - GPU 38% and 65/63C and the CPU at 56%.
I tried backing off things (sequentially) a notch in Medium - Depth of field (29 FPS) set Reflections to Low 27/28 FPS - Ambient Occlusions - 27/28 FPS - and additionally and in one go Shadow maps 1024 down to 768 Terrain shadows 256 down to 128 - Content shadows from Medium to Low  but it didn't really make any discernible difference. So I reset it to default.  26 FPS with the aircraft on the tarmac and 23/24 FPS in the cockpit.  After a while it rose to 32 FPS and 26 FPS in the cockpit.

Before I go any further is anyone able to advise whether the FPS I'm getting is going to be satisfactory (subjective I know) or whether there is anything else I should try first.

2:  I've got Chrome, MSI Afterburner, Riva Tuner Statistics Server, email, Predator Sense and Microsoft Flight Simulator running and the GPU is at 82C and 61%.  The CPU is at 57C and the FPS is reading 60 FPS - but it's only on the Microsoft Flight Simulator Welcome Screen.  Is that 82C that the GPU is running at a worry?

I haven't tried overclocking the GPU yet.  Hence the original question is it the GPU?

Grateful for any advice please.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Kind of sounds like a bug ive seen a few people have on the forums with nvidia GFE and there whiper mode / frame rate limiter. Whats the nvidia fdriver version you are running?
  • Manxie
    No problem at all.  I'm in the Isle of Man. 

Hang on and I'll see what I can find out.
  • Manxie
    I went into Device Manager and  Driver Details but there are probably over a hundred different drivers listed.  Can you say how to limit it?  I may be going about this the wrong way.

• Leostat
    Ah ignore the bit at the bottom, its just my signature but it doesnt render properly on this part of the forum :D, i have it there as most of the time if i link its pointing to the wrong region heh

There should be a nvidia control pannel app and a nvidia gforce experiance app, within those there should be an about which shows you the version, in the control panel its under sytem information
  • Manxie
    Sorry.  Finally got there.  Driver Version:  457.51
  • Leostat
    That ones pretty old, may be worth trying to update it :)

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/driverResults.aspx/176384/en-uk
  • Manxie
    Thank you.  Doing it now.
  • Manxie
    Crikey... 671 MB.  There has to be a lot going on in there.  That's hopeful.
  • Leostat
    Yeh nvidia like to bundle lots of "stuff" with their drivers!  Once its installed there may be a new app if its not there already called the gforce experience app, make sure to sign into that as it (annoyingly) does things like control the frame rate for games. I cant remeber if you can skip the sign in on it anymore
  • Manxie
    Got it - 466.77
  • Manxie
    Sorry.  It's not improved things.  But at least I've got the latest drivers - thank you.

• Manxie
    Just wondering whether to try a (very) basic overclock on the GPU. 

• Leostat
    It shouldn't really need that 🤔, is it 30fps in the menu as well? I'm wondering if the frame limited has bugged, try setting it to 30 and changing it / removing it

Also inside the gfe app it should be able to set the setting of the game to 'optomised' , that may help. 
  • Manxie
    Thanks for that.  I'll give it a go.

• Manxie
    In Welcome - Profile - Marketplace - Options or when clicking on any of the tabs it's sat on 60FPS.  It's when I load in an airport and a plane that it starts to drop.  I've been following the instructions in a very good tutorial set and loading up Heathrow and an Airbus to get some idea of how well it's performing under a reasonable load.  That's when the numbers are dropping - and they aren't coming back up again after leaving it a minute or two to settle down.  They're dropping to 26FPS or less and occasionally going up to just over 30.

I've got the GeForce Experience app on the desktop, but unfortunately, I can't see anywhere to set the game setting to optimised  (unless I'm missing something).

GPU is sat 82C is that a worry? CPU is 61C and System 52C and its only on the Welcome page - no airport or planes loaded.  GPU is at 66 - 67%.
  • Leostat
    82 isn't too much of a worry, it is a tad high for a desktop but I don't think it's high enough to thermal throttle (around 90) , it could be pre throttleing to control temperatures maybe? That could explain it not running to 100%,

do the desktop Acer's have predator sense to control the fans? If it does does it help to whack them to the max settings (sorry if the desktops don't!)

I haven't used the Nvidia panel in a while but it used to live under the games / apps , and you could click into a game to get information on the avenger frame rate and change the settings 

• Manxie
    Thanks for coming back to me.  It does have Predator Sense and I've got the fans on automatic.  They do increase with temperature.  I just wasn't sure whether 82C was acceptable.  If it's not in the SIM it's much lower.  Low 40's C.) I've also now tried the SIM with a light aircraft (Cesna 152) at Innsbruk and it's fine.  It's maintaining 60FPS.
  • Manxie
    The GPU is still at 82C and loaded at around 93%. 

I'm currently working on trying to get the (pretty basic) flight controller I've got to work with the SIM.  It's a bit over response and very sensitive at the moment.  I think the secret may lie with getting the Reactivity settings down quite a bit more in the SIM. 

And getting the brakes to work.  Yes.  Definitely the brakes.  They work, but they certainly don't work well!  And nor does the nose wheel on landing...

So, all in all we're getting there, but it needs more work.

• Manxie
    Can you have two profiles on MSFS?  My daughter would like to fly as well.
  • Manxie
    (But have her own profile to reflect her achievements).