Battery only on gaming.

TotoMark79
TotoMark79 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Is it ok to play games on predator using battery only? i noticed that the cpu temp is lower and also what wiil happen if the cpu temp reach 90deg or higher for 10 to 15mins? 

Comments

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    I wouldn't recommend it all the time , you will rinse the battery and massively reduce the effective lifetime of it.

The reason it's cooler is it's throttleing the components, you can achieve the same effect by limiting the frame rate in games pretty much, I think there is an option in the gforce experience app

As for the temps, no problem. Most mobile chips are good upto around 100, so it's fine it runs like that. Take for example the last Mac pros that were released, they used to run above 90 all the time!
  • TotoMark79
    TotoMark79 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Thanks. Also is it really effective using this thermal paste, i mean aftermarket thermal paste?
  • NathanAlwis
    NathanAlwis Member Posts: 62 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Leostat said:
    I wouldn't recommend it all the time , you will rinse the battery and massively reduce the effective lifetime of it.

The reason it's cooler is it's throttleing the components, you can achieve the same effect by limiting the frame rate in games pretty much, I think there is an option in the gforce experience app

As for the temps, no problem. Most mobile chips are good upto around 100, so it's fine it runs like that. Take for example the last Mac pros that were released, they used to run above 90 all the time!
    True but if its an i7 processor you are using you should expect that kinda temps but replacing the thermal paste might do the trick.... 
  • NathanAlwis
    NathanAlwis Member Posts: 62 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited November 2021
    I don't recommend playing games on battery power as it drains the battery's life a lot, and you can always prevent the processor from overclocking too helps a lot, if you need to know how lemme know...
  • Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi @ TotoMark79
    Please mention your model name of unit 

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @ TotoMark79,

yes it's fine to play while plugged in and the battery fully charged.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    You can disable Turbo boost for your CPU to get very similar temps as on battery but while plugged in.
    Obviously you'll lose some performance in the CPU but your GPU won't throttle giving you better graphical performance from the GPU and remaining ice cool.

P.S. These systems are designed by Intel to run to thermal throttle (92-95 C) without issue or risk of failure. Only negative is fan noise. 

Don't stress temps just enjoy. If your laptop gets too hot (safety wise) your laptop is designed to auto shut down to protect the hardware. 👌
    - Hotel Hero
  • Jameswalter
    Jameswalter Member Posts: 71 Troubleshooter

It's perfectly safe to leave it plugged in, and you're best leaving it running off the mains when playing games. If you're worried about damaging the battery don't be. It's not possible to damage or overcharge a laptop battery.