A Loose Screw & A Free Acer Chromebook (C933-C7GM)

Options
sisterOTee
sisterOTee Member Posts: 2 New User
Good day,
I hope this question/concern meets you well!

Through the Advanced Placement program @ my high school and Amazon's support I guess, I was able to receive a free Acer Chromebook 314 or 315 [not sure].
It's almost a year now, and one of the corner screws is loose. I've tried to screw it in back in both ways (left & right) but it hasn't tightened and it isn't completely out of the hole either.
I tried to submit a service request but it says my laptop was purchased over a year ago so the warranty has expired; this is a tad frustrating because I didn't exactly purchase the Chromebook. In fact, I was notified that I was eligible to receive one a month later.
Is this a technicality Acer would overlook? Any similar situations? What would you do if you were in my shoes? ☺️
Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The screw is a M2.5x6mm. I'd likely look into putting a drop of Loctite blue and just seating the screw with as low of torque as possible. The blue will harden to an elastic and likely hold it for as long as the laptop is usable. Warranty repair would involve replacing the top case, so would be expansive for Acer to provide. Likely the school district bought the system well before they provided it to you (and they might have been inside before you got it, school districts often do some special work to lock down systems before providing them to students).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The screw is a M2.5x6mm. I'd likely look into putting a drop of Loctite blue and just seating the screw with as low of torque as possible. The blue will harden to an elastic and likely hold it for as long as the laptop is usable. Warranty repair would involve replacing the top case, so would be expansive for Acer to provide. Likely the school district bought the system well before they provided it to you (and they might have been inside before you got it, school districts often do some special work to lock down systems before providing them to students).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.