My Acer e5-576g-5762 is failing when i add 8gb ram stick

Options
Smokethis1
Smokethis1 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have had my Acer aspire e 15 576g-5762 since late 2018. it has 8 gb Ram i5 processor and 256 ssd. Since it's been 2 years, it has started to slow down. I ended up buying a new stick of 8 gb ram, i did my research and found compatible ram. I popped ram in a few weeks ago and checked task manager, everything looked fine. Then suddenly it makes a LOUD grinding sound and the laptop freezes forcing me to hard reset. After trying that more than once, it had the same issue. I took it out and ordered new Ram assuming the first ram was defective.

Yesterday the new crucial ram stick arrived, i was excited for it to work. *Same problem* now i know it wasn't the ram, it's the laptop. I have no idea what the other could be. Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated. I will post the ram sticks below that i have tried installing. I have no idea what to do here. I am considering buying a whole new laptop if i can't fix this. The laptop is FINE until i add the stick of ram. Then it loads up.. after a few minutes the grinding sound happens and everything locks up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0145WDNI4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-8gb-204-pin-ddr3-so-dimm/p/N82E16820148679?cstrackid=3753b7c0-1bb8-4d67-8c07-f29de0373bd4&utm_source=crucial&utm_medium=channelsight&utm_campaign=button&utm_content=3753b7c0-1bb8-4d67-8c07-f29de0373bd4

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

I have had my Acer aspire e 15 576g-5762 since late 2018. it has 8 gb Ram i5 processor and 256 ssd. Since it's been 2 years, it has started to slow down. I ended up buying a new stick of 8 gb ram, i did my research and found compatible ram. I popped ram in a few weeks ago and checked task manager, everything looked fine. Then suddenly it makes a LOUD grinding sound and the laptop freezes forcing me to hard reset. After trying that more than once, it had the same issue. I took it out and ordered new Ram assuming the first ram was defective.

Yesterday the new crucial ram stick arrived, i was excited for it to work. *Same problem* now i know it wasn't the ram, it's the laptop. I have no idea what the other could be. Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated. I will post the ram sticks below that i have tried installing. I have no idea what to do here. I am considering buying a whole new laptop if i can't fix this. The laptop is FINE until i add the stick of ram. Then it loads up.. after a few minutes the grinding sound happens and everything locks up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0145WDNI4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-8gb-204-pin-ddr3-so-dimm/p/N82E16820148679?cstrackid=3753b7c0-1bb8-4d67-8c07-f29de0373bd4&utm_source=crucial&utm_medium=channelsight&utm_campaign=button&utm_content=3753b7c0-1bb8-4d67-8c07-f29de0373bd4

Firstly what part of the laptop does this "suddenly it makes a LOUD grinding sound and the laptop freezes" come from? Thee are troubleshooting solution to your laptop but you have to precisely determine where this noise comes from? Its useless to just say what you have said that its a "LOUD grinding sound" as that very much sounds like the fan as that is the only moving part in your laptop and if the fan does not work 100% then it makes the cpu overhear and the laptop freezes and shuts down. 

Here are two troubleshooting solutions so please try all of these "step by step" and systematically:

Intermittent Problems
    Intermittent system hang problems can be caused by a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with a hardware defect, such as: cosmic radiation, electrostatic discharge, or software errors. FRU replacement should be considered only when a recurring problem exists. When analyzing an intermittent problem, perform the following:

1. Run the advanced diagnostic test for the system board in loop mode at least 10 times.
    2. If no error is detected, do not replace any FRU.
    3. If an error is detected, replace the FRU. Rerun the test to verify that there are no more errors

Undetermined Problems
    The diagnostic problems do not identify which adapter or device failed, which installed devices are incorrect, whether a short circuit is suspected, or whether the system is inoperative. Perform the following procedures to isolate the failing FRU (do not isolate non-defective FRU).

NOTE: Verify that all attached devices are supported by the computer.
    NOTE: Verify that the power supply being used at the time of the failure is operating correctly. 

1. Remove power from the computer.
    2. Visually check components for damage. If any problems are found, replace the FRU.
    3. Remove or disconnect all of the following devices:
    • Non-Acer devices like printer, mouse, and other external devices 
    • Battery pack and Hard disk drive 
    • DIMM, BD/CD-ROM/Diskette drive Module PC Cards 
    4. Apply power to the computer.
    5. Determine if the problem has changed.
    6. If the problem does not recur, connect the removed devices one at a time until failing FRU is found.
    7. If the problem remains, replace the following FRUs: System board LCD assembly

This is the official Acer recommended type of memory that the Aspire E15 576G-5762 takes; its the 
    • DDR3L 1600 2 GB (256 MB x 64), 4 GB (512 MB x 64), 8 GB (1 G x 64), and 16 GB (2 G x 64) into its two socket's,
    • Supports memory size per socket - 2 / 4 / 8 / 16 GB
    • Supports maximum memory size - 32 GB
    • Supports DIMM type - SDRAM memory interface design
    • Supports DIMM Speed 1333MHz soDIMM - 1600MHz soDIMM and 2133MHz soDIMM (Aspire E5-575, E-575T only)
    • Support DIMM voltage 1.05 V and 1.2V
    • Supports DIMM package - Standard JEDEC 260-pin
    Also, update the bios to the last bios version 1.49 titled "Update Intel microcode" which includes what the bios version 1.47 that is titled "1. Fine tune DRAM compatibility" as that could fix issues with the RAM.

If any of the above does not fix your problem and your laptop still hangs then you might have to replace the motherboard which there are 75 different types of different motherboard listed by Acer in their "Service manual" for the model "Aspire E5-575, Aspire E5-575G, Aspire E5-575T, Aspire E5-575TG, Aspire K50-20" so, make a note of your exact OEM motherboards model #, here two examples of an i5 mobo and an i7 mobo, so don't take this that it relates to your laptop as its only a reference e.g. an i5 has this; "MAINBOARD UMA (2.9G) Skylake Ci56267U 28W W/MIC/RTC BTY/CR part#: NB.GE611.004", so you have to either match the exact mobo or you can go for the higher spec i7 like the "MAINBOARD UMA (2.5G) Skylake Ci76500U W/MIC/RTC BTY/CR part#: NB.GE611.003". Just for your reference these are two captions of the disassembled back and the mobo of the Aspire E5-576's.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    Your mainboard supports dual channel RAM which often can be sensitive to mismatched 8GB RAM modules that aren't from the same manufacturer as a  2 x 8GB matched pair kit. What is the original 8GB  RAM module manufacturer? Does the laptop work OK if you remove the old 8GB module and replace it with the new 8GB module? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

Firstly what part of the laptop does this "suddenly it makes a LOUD grinding sound and the laptop freezes" come from? Thee are troubleshooting solution to your laptop but you have to precisely determine where this noise comes from? Its useless to just say what you have said that its a "LOUD grinding sound" as that very much sounds like the fan as that is the only moving part in your laptop and if the fan does not work 100% then it makes the cpu overhear and the laptop freezes and shuts down. 

Here are two troubleshooting solutions so please try all of these "step by step" and systematically:

Intermittent Problems
    Intermittent system hang problems can be caused by a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with a hardware defect, such as: cosmic radiation, electrostatic discharge, or software errors. FRU replacement should be considered only when a recurring problem exists. When analyzing an intermittent problem, perform the following:

1. Run the advanced diagnostic test for the system board in loop mode at least 10 times.
    2. If no error is detected, do not replace any FRU.
    3. If an error is detected, replace the FRU. Rerun the test to verify that there are no more errors

Undetermined Problems
    The diagnostic problems do not identify which adapter or device failed, which installed devices are incorrect, whether a short circuit is suspected, or whether the system is inoperative. Perform the following procedures to isolate the failing FRU (do not isolate non-defective FRU).

NOTE: Verify that all attached devices are supported by the computer.
    NOTE: Verify that the power supply being used at the time of the failure is operating correctly. 

1. Remove power from the computer.
    2. Visually check components for damage. If any problems are found, replace the FRU.
    3. Remove or disconnect all of the following devices:
    • Non-Acer devices like printer, mouse, and other external devices 
    • Battery pack and Hard disk drive 
    • DIMM, BD/CD-ROM/Diskette drive Module PC Cards 
    4. Apply power to the computer.
    5. Determine if the problem has changed.
    6. If the problem does not recur, connect the removed devices one at a time until failing FRU is found.
    7. If the problem remains, replace the following FRUs: System board LCD assembly

This is the official Acer recommended type of memory that the Aspire E15 576G-5762 takes; its the 
    • DDR3L 1600 2 GB (256 MB x 64), 4 GB (512 MB x 64), 8 GB (1 G x 64), and 16 GB (2 G x 64) into its two socket's,
    • Supports memory size per socket - 2 / 4 / 8 / 16 GB
    • Supports maximum memory size - 32 GB
    • Supports DIMM type - SDRAM memory interface design
    • Supports DIMM Speed 1333MHz soDIMM - 1600MHz soDIMM and 2133MHz soDIMM (Aspire E5-575, E-575T only)
    • Support DIMM voltage 1.05 V and 1.2V
    • Supports DIMM package - Standard JEDEC 260-pin
    Also, update the bios to the last bios version 1.49 titled "Update Intel microcode" which includes what the bios version 1.47 that is titled "1. Fine tune DRAM compatibility" as that could fix issues with the RAM.

If any of the above does not fix your problem and your laptop still hangs then you might have to replace the motherboard which there are 75 different types of different motherboard listed by Acer in their "Service manual" for the model "Aspire E5-575, Aspire E5-575G, Aspire E5-575T, Aspire E5-575TG, Aspire K50-20" so, make a note of your exact OEM motherboards model #, here two examples of an i5 mobo and an i7 mobo, so don't take this that it relates to your laptop as its only a reference e.g. an i5 has this; "MAINBOARD UMA (2.9G) Skylake Ci56267U 28W W/MIC/RTC BTY/CR part#: NB.GE611.004", so you have to either match the exact mobo or you can go for the higher spec i7 like the "MAINBOARD UMA (2.5G) Skylake Ci76500U W/MIC/RTC BTY/CR part#: NB.GE611.003". Just for your reference these are two captions of the disassembled back and the mobo of the Aspire E5-576's.

This discussion has been closed.