Is it possible to install Ubuntu LTS in Acer Aspire A315-56? Is this device OEM locked to Windows?

Options
username101
username101 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2021 in Aspire Laptops
This is my 4th day trying to install Ubuntu on this laptop. But matter what I do, I can't install Ubuntu on this device.

The main reason is: Ubuntu Installer doesn't recognize that there is the internal hard disk.

Things I have tried trying to install:
  • Enabled AHCI
  • Set Admin password on BIOS
  • Disabled fastboot and secure boot
  • Also deleted all windows disk partition to see if it works. I used the DISKPART command for this.
There are some things in bios settings I need some answers of:

Advance menu:
  • Intel VTX                                      [Should I enable it or disable it?]
  • Intel VTD                                      [Should I enable it or disable it?]
  • Storage Device configuration
        HDD0 Port                                [Should I enable it or disable it?]
        HDD1 Port                                [Neither can be enabled nor can be disabled]
Security menu:
  • Change TPM (TCM) State           [Should I enable it or disable it?]
Some questions might seem overrated to ask but after 4 days to multiple attempts, people really start to rethink Acer laptops again.
Bios version: 1.20
I have read various articles & forums discussion, but there is no subtle workaround toward this issue.

I know some bypass hacks people discovered all being as desperate as they can, some of those hacks are:
  • Closing the laptop lid to put the laptop into sleep/suspend before selecting hard disk options.  [ I check, this trick really did something but in the end...]
  • Reinstalling Windows > Install Fedora 33 > Install distro you want to install.                             [ I haven't checked this. I doubt it.]
  • Linux kernel hack:      Config_PM_Test_Suspend=y       and        test_suspend=mem              [ I wish I could do this. Need to be an expert to pull this off.]

Yes, before Jack mentioning about: Rufus + GPT + Fat32. I have tried this bunch of times. Without this I couldn't live-boot in the first place, can I?

I'm really disappointed. This is a very popular issue that should have been addressed by the BIOS update.

I all ears. Help.

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    can you actually "live" boot a linux usb stick?  (enable f12 boot option in bios then on boot from cold, tap away on f12 with the usb stick plugged in)  Does the usb driver show up along with the internal drive etc.   Or does the install crash when loading the OS?  etc
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the exact model? Example a315-56-75kz. Did your model come with an nvme ssd?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • username101

Tinkerer

Options
    @Gawain
    can you actually "live" boot a linux usb stick?
    Yes
    Does the usb driver show up along with the internal drive etc

If you mean, Can I look for an internal drive/disk from Live OS? No.

If you mean, Can I look for my bootable pendrive after pressing F12? Yes.

Or does the install crash when loading the OS?

Installing Ubuntu doesn't crash. It doesn't show my internal hard disk. Because of this, /dev/sda is a bootable pendrive instead of an internal hard disk as you can see.

• username101

Tinkerer

Options

What is the exact model? Example a315-56-75kz.
    A315-56-33U4
    Model no: N19C1

Did your model come with an nvme?

I don't know. See this for hardware info: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/AE/content/model/NX.HS5EM.001

• Gawain
    Options
    when you live boot, by using something like gparted, does that detect the disk?
  • username101

Tinkerer

Options
    when you live boot, by using something like gparted, does that detect the disk?
    I wish it did. Gparted only shows one disk, which is my pendrive, mounted as /dev/sda.

Well, on the other hand, Windows can do literally anything without any issues.

Intel & Acer really did something in the name "Windows Security". Really annoying this type of laptop owner.
  • Gawain
    Options
    long shot - can you enable tpm if it isn't already.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited April 2021
    Options
    This sounds like a VMD / RST issue :) On the main tab in the UEFI, as the first thing you press hit CNTRL+S a few times, after that look through the tabs for something like RST mode, Sata mode, VMD controller, Intel Volume management Device 

For VMD options it needs to be off, for sata mode it needs to be Sata 

TPM should be on as well for the install 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @username101
    New release of Gparted this past week, see this new version can see you drive? Or try Parted Magic?

I have never set Admin Password on any of my PC for Windows or Linux, so I would suggest you not to set it. Before exiting BIOS, I would load Optimized default before saving it. Try to install Ubuntu again.

I won't change the Intel VTX  and VTD from the default. Others, just do not touch it, just use optimized default. 

When you boot live from the pen drive, I suppose you cannot see the icon or something at the File System about your internal drive, right?

Here, you are trying to install Ubuntu with the "Something Else" option, how about let Ubuntu do the partitioning for you, if it can.

If problem persist, then try Linuxmint (will need ACHI SATA mode). If that has the same problem, then it is hardware incompatibility problem.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Access the bios and then go to the main tab. Then press CTRL + S. The sata mode option should appear.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • AndrejBartulin
    AndrejBartulin Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    This is my 4th day trying to install Ubuntu on this laptop. But matter what I do, I can't install Ubuntu on this device.

The main reason is: Ubuntu Installer doesn't recognize that there is the internal hard disk.

Things I have tried trying to install:
    • Enabled AHCI
    • Set Admin password on BIOS
    • Disabled fastboot and secure boot
    • Also deleted all windows disk partition to see if it works. I used the DISKPART command for this.
    There are some things in bios settings I need some answers of:

Advance menu:
    • Intel VTX                                      [Should I enable it or disable it?]
    • Intel VTD                                      [Should I enable it or disable it?]
    • Storage Device configuration
          HDD0 Port                                [Should I enable it or disable it?]
          HDD1 Port                                [Neither can be enabled nor can be disabled]
    Security menu:
    • Change TPM (TCM) State           [Should I enable it or disable it?]
    Some questions might seem overrated to ask but after 4 days to multiple attempts, people really start to rethink Acer laptops again.
    Bios version: 1.20
    I have read various articles & forums discussion, but there is no subtle workaround toward this issue.

I know some bypass hacks people discovered all being as desperate as they can, some of those hacks are:
    • Closing the laptop lid to put the laptop into sleep/suspend before selecting hard disk options.  [ I check, this trick really did something but in the end...]
    • Reinstalling Windows > Install Fedora 33 > Install distro you want to install.                             [ I haven't checked this. I doubt it.]
    • Linux kernel hack:      Config_PM_Test_Suspend=y       and        test_suspend=mem              [ I wish I could do this. Need to be an expert to pull this off.]

Yes, before Jack mentioning about: Rufus + GPT + Fat32. I have tried this bunch of times. Without this I couldn't live-boot in the first place, can I?

I'm really disappointed. This is a very popular issue that should have been addressed by the BIOS update.

I all ears. Help.
    Maybe is file system problem or AHCI/IDE problem
  • iqie
    iqie Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    Try this:

on grub menu (before install ubuntu): add this command on parameter:
    #Add this command after splash word. 
    nvme_core.default.ps_max_latency_us=5000

this command works for me, I had a problem that any Linux can't read/detect my hard drive. if these things work for you. don't forget to save this command on grub file. so, you don't have to add this command again after turn on your laptop.