How do I diagnose and repair why the screen on my acer Chromebook Spin 11 CP311-1H-C1FS loses video

Member Posts: 5 New User
edited April 2021 in Chromebooks
Hello and ty for taking the time to read this. I have an Acer Chromebook Spin 11, Series CP311-1H-C1FS, model number N17Q8. While using it, everything will be fine then the screen seems to flash colored stripes then turns black/white/grey. To bring the video feed back, I close the lid all the way or just to the point right before that where the screen is suppose to turn off, them reopen it and whatever I was doing is back on the screen. Sometimes, it will be ok but most often, no matter what position I have the screen in, it will do it again either immediately or a few seconds in. I can keep “resetting “ it and it keeps doing it so I just give up. When everything is fine, I’ve rotated the screen all around, going back and forth, and even tapped on the back trying to make it do it but it won’t. I’ve turned it on and off, and even reset the computer to factory by power washing but still does it. Idk if it’s the screen itself, the video cable, a connection, software, or something else. Can someone please help? For what I paid, it’s not worth sending to repair shop and I can’t afford to get something new. Thank you again. 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Is there a chance the cable running between the motherboard and display is starting to break where the notebook is hinged? The cable is flexed each time you open or close it, so sometimes the little wires will start to break.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi,

Check for updates yourself

1. Turn on your Chromebook.
    2. Connect your Chromebook to Wi-Fi.
    3. At the bottom right, select the time.
    4. Select Settings .
    5. At the bottom of the left panel, select About Chrome OS.
    6. Under "Google Chrome OS," you'll find which version of the Chrome operating system your Chromebook uses.
    7. Select Check for updates.
    8. If your Chromebook finds a software update, it will start to download automatically.
  • Member Posts: 5 New User
    Ty so much for jumping in. I followed your instructions and it says that my Chromebook is up to date. (It didn’t need to download anything).  It says I’m running version 89.0.4389.116 (official build)(64 bit)
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Is there a chance the cable running between the motherboard and display is starting to break where the notebook is hinged? The cable is flexed each time you open or close it, so sometimes the little wires will start to break.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
    I thought that also but at a time when it wasn’t acting up. I sat there just opening, closing,flipping 180 degrees over and over again but wouldn’t do it. (I did this twice) I even tapped on it but nothing. It just does it spontaneously when in use. Although it doesn’t seem to do it nearly as much when I’m watching something like a movie. I try finding answers and I’ve heard software, cable, video screen. I just don’t know. Ty for responding and if you have anything else, hit me up. I really do appreciate it 
    Sorry, idk if hitting like means the problems fixed. Unfortunately it’s not but it let me know my thinking is on the right track.  I ordered a usb-c to hdmi cable today so I can hook it to the tv. When/ if screen does it, I will see what the tv screen does. If it’s fine, then I know it’s most likely screen, possibly video cable
  • billsey
    edited April 2021
    Like alone shouldn't have marked it as a solution, you usually have to say "Yes, that solved it". Maybe they were tweaking something in the forum software and broke that function temporarily...
    Your CP311-1H supports DP over USB-C, but I'm not positive that there's also support for HDMI over USB-C. If it doesn't work when the cable comes in try swapping it for DisplayPort instead.