ACER ASPIRE 5102 WLMI

Micky
Micky Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi,
6 Years ago I purchased the above mentioned Laptop which came with "Windows XP" as its OS.
I managed to Install "Windows 7" which "Boosted" its performance way up.
Unfortunately, I'm not able to operate the build-in BISON Web-Camera  and the Build-in Microphone is also not functioning.
All other devices etc. work fine.
I found appropriate drivers for "Win XP" and "vista" but not for "Win 7"
Is there a way to get Drivers for my current OS ?
Thanks in advance,
Micky

Best Answer

• Leho
    Leho Member Posts: 525 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Phil

Of course, downloading anything from the Internet is at the user's own risk.

But, wouldn't it be nice if Acer provided drivers for third party accessories that Acer installs/includes with Acer computers? 

Leho

Answers

• Leho

Micky

Have you tried http://bison-webcam.software.informer.com/ for possible driver downloads?

Leho

• Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member Posts: 1,181 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello everyone,

While our members are generally eager to provide useful information, be advised that Acer does not validate third party external links for downloads and is not responsible for them.

Acquiring files through such links is at the user’s own risk.

Thanks!

• Leho
    Answer ✓

Phil

Of course, downloading anything from the Internet is at the user's own risk.

But, wouldn't it be nice if Acer provided drivers for third party accessories that Acer installs/includes with Acer computers? 

Leho

• Micky

Thanks Leho,
    I have been there and as far as I understood it requires paymnemt.
    I realy think that drivers should be published by the Manufacturer.
    "Acer" is a graet firm and I don't understand why I'm PUNISHED for succeeding in installing and running "Windows 7" on the ASPIRE 5100 Laptop by Neglecting in introducing an appropriate Driver for the "BISON" Web-Cam Camera !?
    In my opinion ACER technical stuff should concentrate in launching Drivers. for their Built-in devices. (such as "Bison" Web Cameras etc., also for "Windows 7") instead of "covering their buttock" like Phil-3 did in his post.
    For my Overseas trips I can carry with me a small External USB Web Camera.
    That way my problem can be considered as never existed at all - but that is not the correct way to manage Web  video conversations.
    Thanks again,
    Micky

• Leho

Micky

It appears to me as if the industry protocol is that designers/manufacturers of accessory hardware also prepare drivers to suit most of the current Operating Systems. Updates to newer OSs would be based on a perceived need and market.

Six years ago Bison did supply the driver compatible with the then current XP OS.  Acer made the decision to use the Bison webcam and both made a profit.  However, Acer made no commitment to support forever any changes made by customers or hardware and software suppliers.

Later Acer also used other webcams with drivers that suited then current OSs. The decision to supply/sell a driver compatible with newer OSs rests with Bison.

Your disappointment should be directed at Bison, not Acer.

You are not being punished for your accomplishment of installing 7 to replace XP.  You didn't verify the availability and compatibility of all items pertinent to the change and basically you now reap what you have sown.

Live and learn.

Leho

• Micky

@Leho,
    I'm more than happy with reaping of what I have sown !!!
    Having the ASPIRE 5012 running under "Windows 7" versus "Windows XP" is a big advantage (I'm not sure you are aware of) and the non-operative Built-in Camera can be taken care of - as I already mentioned - by taking along a small External USB Camera.
    I dodn't look or search for whom to blame.
    All I need is an appropriate driver - either from ACER or from BISON.
    BUT(!) as I am an ACER Client (Never bought anything directly from BISON - and/or had a way to decide if it will e a BISON Camera, or not) as far as I see it - YOU (ACER) are the address for my Dissatisfaction.
    Well, now the Ball in in ACERs field and let us see what they re capable in doing with it.
    Micky

• Leho

Micky

I see that one of the big advantages of upgrading your 5102 to Win 7 is that the built-in camera doesn't work.Smiley Wink

The point is that because you did an 'upgrade' that did not work to your satisfaction, the result is to your account, not Acer's.

By the way, I am not Acer.  I am, like you, just an Acer client.

I think this is where we agree to disagree.

Leho

• Micky

I know my english is not perfect (as it is not my mothers tongue) but it is still understandable.

I don't remeber blaming anyone for not launching a Bison Web Camera driver for "Win 7".
    All I expressed was my disappointment - that is all.

Nothing would have stop me from upgrading the OS.
    In fact - I can go back to "Win XP" any minute (Have all the Original CDs) but the disadvantages are far more than this little, web-camera, disadvantage.

I repeat again: carrying an external USB Web camera will increase my overall Baggage weight by 3-4 ounces (hopefully no Airline will charge me for "Over-weight").

In general this Thread can be considered as closed because no real help can be found here. I will continue to search for a driver (dedicated or one that matches and works). Will be back to tell you (If the news will be good).

Thanks for all your efforts,
    Micky

• mequi
    mequi Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the solution for the camera in the Acer  5102 WLMI with W7 working.

Download the file : (  BISON_Acer Orbicam_V6.96.0.14f-WHQL ) . I right now instaled it and I am amazed. It works  proporly.

Good luck

Santiago

• Micky

Thanks Santiago.
    Can you' please' provide the DIRECT Link to that Driver.
    I found a lot of it but I do want to download the same driver you , successfully, installed.
    Micky

• Micky

This is AWESOME !!!
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
    It works like charm.
    Being a Microsoft EXCEL MVP - if you ever face any problem using that application - don't hesitate to contact me here.
    Micky