Re-flash a corrupt BIOS for an Acer Aspire 7250?

Ashenfox
Ashenfox Member Posts: 1 New User

My Acer Asprie 7250 does not boot into Windows anymore, I only get a black screen when it's powered on. My b/f was trying to update drivers and such on the notebook and he disreguarded to look at the current BIO in the BIOS menu and apprently ended up downgrading ( accoring to him ) the BIOS from 1.10 to 1.03. I can only assume that the BIOS is now corrupted.....

I read that I could possibly recover the BIOS through a Crisis USB stick, but I am unable to find the proper file ( the manual states that a SHABX64.FD file is needed )

So, I would like to know is there actually a way to flash the BIOS at this point, and if so where can I obtain the file that the manual talks about? I understand that there is a recovery partition as well on the HDD though I am unable to access it....

Answers

1950 Member Posts: 2 New User

You might try going on acers website and find your comp and d/l the bios from there,I hope that helps.

• PaulzX11
    PaulzX11 Member Posts: 1 New User

I dont know how old this problem is but this was one of the few posts i could find on the internet about this corupt bios and blachscreen of death problem for the Acer Aspire 7250, i have one too and finally fixed it like this:

rufus v1.3.4 and made a FAT formatted bootable usb stick with the MiniDos option.

I am not sure if there was a autoexec.bat on it but if there is you can delete it.

Download the BIOS 1.10 from the acer website,go to the dos folder rename SHABV110.FD to SHABX64.FD, rightclick update.bat and click edit change the filename there too as above rename it autoexec.bat coppy these and fla**bleep**.exe to the bootstick.My usb ffd was 3d in boot order so i disconected my hardrive,dvd,right side usb ports not sure if this is needed tho.

remove every thing conected to the laptop including battery and ac cable and shut it down holding power button 10 sec.

Insert usb thumbdrive in leftside slot, now while holding FN+ ESC conect thhe ac cable and turn on the laptop,keep hol;ding FN+Esc i think around 15 seconds my light on the thumbstick came on 3 times then i released the buttons, 3minutes later it shut down i removed the USB hooked it up to battery and cable and couldnt really bel;ieve it when i saw the acer screen =)

Hope this will be usefull i spend many hours to fix this not much info on aspire 7250 =/

• Atc77164
    Atc77164 Member Posts: 1 New User

I now have the same problem as mentioned. But I don't understand the given solution!

How is it possible to enter the dos folder, if the laptop even doesn't start? The moment I press the "on" button, it gives a black screen and stays there... Is there a kind of back door? How can I make the laptop look for a bootable USB if I can't get into the settings?

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

ATC, there is a solution that MIGHT work.

Borrow a legal copy of your oerating system and put it into the optical (DVD) drive, and then restart your computer. It should open to a menu that gives you some troubleshooting options.

• -B-
    -B- Member Posts: 1 New User

Kudos to PaulzX11

I followed your procedure with a few small changes because rufus version was newer, FreeDOS instead of MiniDOS, etc. but the end result was a working laptop Smiley Happy

Someone decided to play a prank and set a BIOS password on my girlfriend's Acer 7250G so, subsequently she could not access it. No one owned up to setting the password so we couldn't find out what it was.

So our problem was not corrupt BIOS but the only way around it was to re-flash it.

Thanks again, we still have a working laptop and didn't have to strip it down and sell its parts on eBay.

This discussion has been closed.