Replacement monitor power supply

Gimpy2k7
Gimpy2k7 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Acer H274HL bmid but during a move I've lost the power supply. I've tried contacting Acer about it (no response of course) and tried looking for replacements but am getting hung up on a few things.

The power rating on the back says 19v - 2.1A (2.1A)

One replacement adapter I've been looking at is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/AL1703-AL1714-Monitor-Adapter-Replacement/dp/B003UYM1BE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368555308&sr=1-1&keywords=acer+monitor+power+adapter

It has 19v output but a higher amperage. Most others I've looked at have protection against sending too much to the unit but this one doesn't say anything about that. Is it safe to assume it would only send 2.1A to the monitor?

I also don't know anything about how much wattage the monitor uses thus don't know what to look for in a replacement power supply.

Does anyone know if that replacement would work or any alternatives?

Thanks!

Answers

• Gimpy2k7
    Gimpy2k7 Member Posts: 2 New User

Haha zero information on this. Not to mention 3 weeks and nothing heard back from Acer. At this point I would rather throw the monitor in a dumpster than use it and have something from such a garbage company in my house.

• Frustratedtekky
    Frustratedtekky Member Posts: 8 New User

Regarding your lament regarding responsiveness, lemme just say "I feel your pain"...  :-)

Regarding your concern over the amperage of the amazon power supply, then I can tell you you're good to go.

There are 3 things you need to know about getting a new power supply:

1) The barrel jack on the PS has to match the jack on your monitor. The one on amazon has an ID of 3mm and an OD of 6.5mm. This is not an uncommon size, and will probably work on yours, but you have to keep the size in mind.

2) The voltage. This is critical, and must match your old PS voltage. The amazon PS apparently matches, so you're good there.

3) The current rating. A supply has to supply at LEAST the maximum load presented to it by the device it powers. In your case, you already lnow the minimum current rating of the old PS is 2.1A, so one that supplies 3.16A will handle your monitor easily.

BTW, as long as #2 and #3 are good, if you find that the barrel plug is the wrong size, barrel plugs and jacks are easy to find on the net or at stores like radio shack. If you or a friend are handy with a soldering iron and think about what you're doing, they're very easy to swap out to fit anything your heart desires.  :-)

• ThV5k
    ThV5k Member Posts: 327

Tinkerer

Hello,

Maybe this will be of assistance. Do consult the Acer site: http://store.acer.com/store/acerna/en_CA/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/ThemeID.30483300/categoryID.60085200/parentCategoryID.60062900

Try it out is shows adapters and power kits for Acer products.

Do not know where you are located but this is a North America site.

Good day.

This discussion has been closed.