uninstalling XP Mode from Windows 7 -- How?

Options
Grace01
Grace01 Member Posts: 1 New User

Greetings,

My question is regarding how to uninstall or delete "Windows XP Mode" from my Windows 7 pro system.

I first turned on this new machine three days ago and during the OEM initialization I checked the box for including Windows XP mode. Since then I have changed my mind and would like to remove XP Mode for a number of reasons.

I have not opened or used any part of XP mode at this date -- i.e. no installation or newly created files.

I posed this question to a rep via email and was told to simply use the Programs - Uninstall menu. That would be great except, as I had very plainly explaned, it DOES NOT appear in any way in the Uninstall list. 

There is a folder in C:/Program Files called "Windows XP Mode" (1.2GB!) May I safely just right-click and delete this folder to remove the XP option from my system without leaving behind any other references on the computer that I should worry about? -- like in the registry, for instance. I also think I may need to somehow delete or uninstall "virtual machine."

Note: neither "Windows XP Mode" nor "Virtual Machine" appear anywhere in my Uninstall list. 

Any help greatly appreciated

Thank you.

Answers

• Juzzo
    Juzzo Member Posts: 117 Troubleshooter
    Options

This is from Microsofts site.

To remove Windows XP Mode

1. If Windows XP Mode is running, shut it down.

2. Open Control Panel.

3. Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.

4. Double-click Windows XP Mode.

To delete a virtual machine

1. If the virtual machine is running, shut it down or turn it off.

2. If you want to delete the virtual hard disks, open the settings for the virtual machine and note the location of all virtual hard disks.

3. From the Virtual Machines folder, right-click the name of the virtual machine and then click Delete. The virtual machine is removed from the folder and the virtual machine (.vmcx) file is moved to the Recycle Bin.

4. Open Windows Explorer and browse to the location where the virtual machine files are stored. For example, the default location for virtual machine files is the following, where username is the name of your Windows 7 user account: %systemdrive%\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines

Look for and delete files that are named the same as the virtual machine and have the following extensions: .vmc, .vmc, .vpcbackup, .vsv, .vht, and .vud. You also can search for files with those extensions.

5. Empty the Recycle Bin.

To remove Windows Virtual PC

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.

3. In the left pane, click View installed updates.

4. Under Microsoft Windows, double-click Windows Virtual PC (KB958559).

5. Restart the computer to finish the removal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is Juzzo again...XP mode is actually a whole install of XP run on a virtual machine inside of Win7. The 1.2gig file you found is probably a .vhd file (Virtual hard drive).

I would do the above, I understand that you probably cant do the first step. You can however go to Control Panel >  Uninstall a Program > Turn Windows Features On or Off
      and to uncheck the entry for Windows Virtual PC.

Afterwards it would probably be safe to delete the big VHD file.

On another note, it really doesnt take up that much space. No big deal to leave it (My opinion).

This discussion has been closed.