Acer Cloud - is it useful

Options
saywot
saywot Member Posts: 64 Troubleshooter
Am I right in saying the AcerCloud isn't really cloud storage at all but just me setting myself up a VPN and providing my own storage server, with my Acer product being the client?

This may be useful but all my 'big' computers run either Linux or another unix-based OS and I can't find any software from Acer for people who don't like using Microsoft products.

I only have a 32Gb Android tablet so I want to manage the available storage carefully, cloud storage ( like Google Drive or the Microsoft Sky drive or even Dropbox) is a good solution for expanding available storage setting up a VPN and just using this Acercloud to 'sync' files between devices is just a bit gimmicky

can I uninstall this or is it a dependency for other applications?

Answers

• lucifer814
    lucifer814 Member Posts: 42 New User
    Options

As far as I know, AcerCloud needs a cloud PC as storage that allows you to access media content over the Internet, the way of sharing information is a little different from other cloud productions, and it supports Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows 8, the Linux system doesn't use it.

• saywot
    Options
    so it's a waste of time.And it's not a 'cloud' at all it's just me accessing my own files on my own computer over a WAN
    in fact it's so different from other cloud productions it's not a cloud at all.
  • Fov
    Fov Member Posts: 26 New User
    Options

Actually, the content you said is sound, AcerCloud providing my own storage server, with my Acer product being the client, may be a serious burden for our computer, because it need my home PC always online to make my device access to the contents, I think this may be a Acer original product design goal concept, it means that it's free, Don't need to pay for storage space.

acercloud also has the function that don't rely on home PC,like the docs and picstream, which the files are stored in cloud, not my own pc, it will generate a copy in the cloud, so I like picstream and docs more than other production, I often use the docs when I was in office, that isn't hyperbole these two functions really are practical.

• saywot
    Options
    so can I uninstall this to save space for something that might be useful?
  • Leho
    Leho Member Posts: 525 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Sayw

The only thing that I can think of that is favourable to AcerCloud over goggle drive and skydrive and such is that you have better security.  Sure, your data can still get hacked but you haven't stored it on some organization's drives which can become accessible to third parties.

Leho

• Honeybee
    Honeybee Member Posts: 50 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Sayw What is said above is the reason why I prefer to use AcerCloud rather than use other cloud products. May be there is generally a safe hidden danger with some cloud products that placing all of individual data on organization's drives, and it's not fully controlled by us in a strict sense. Honeybee
This discussion has been closed.