Aspire 5943G - problems encountered and resolved.

Options
o0benski0o
o0benski0o Member Posts: 2 New User

I have had my 5943G for over a year now and I have encountered a few issues that I'm sure other owners have either experienced or are experiencing. 

Toshiba HDD failure - I am now on my 4th hard drive. The Toshiba HDD fitted as standard was changed twice by Acer support and once by myself before I finally decided that it's an absolute pile of rubbish so I opted to install a solid state drive which has so far outlasted all three previous Toshiba drives.

Overheating - Major problem with this notebook especially when gaming. Some people say that you shouldn't use a notepad for demanding games but why give it the spec to run such things in the first place huh? Anyway I downloaded a service manual and dismantled the entire unit and removed the extra gauze sheeting from the ventilation slots. At the same time i cleaned off the old blue heat transfer compound and refreshed with a much better quality paste. The result is that it now runs significantly cooler, at least 7 degress cooler under normal conditions.

Keyboard keys sticking - Again using the downloaded service manual I followed the instructions for removing the keyboard and I simply gave it a good airdusting, it's now as good as new.

Poor touchpad response - This is the real downfall of the while notebook, it's just not good enough and randomly gives very poor response. The advise from the manufacturer is that you need to give it a good clean but unless it's virtually basted in grease then this is just covering up the fact that it's rubbish engineering. Next time your touchpad plays up and you are connected to mains power just close the lid (set notebook to "do nothing" when closing the lid in the power options) and open it again.....the touchpad mysteriously works again without so much as a wipe of tissue.

I hope this helps any frustrated 5943G owners. Apart from these issues I'm very happy with it but finding out information on them when they happened was non-existant and Acer support really wasan't all that helpful.

Answers

• LakeGuy
    LakeGuy Member Posts: 14 New User
    Options

Thanks, my laptop is newer, but I hope to learn from your experiences.

This discussion has been closed.