Which video driver? Acer suggests two, Intel and Nvidia, but no hint which for Aspire e5-573

Rickster8
Rickster8 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited 5:17AM in Aspire Laptops

Hi. I have an Aspire e5-573 and I've been quite happy with it for years. The HDD failed, and I had to reinstall Windows about 3 years ago. Maybe the problems below*** started then, or not, but I've only noticed them in the last year. I think this is because of the driver, right? The monitor driver, right?

So I go to Acer's webpage for this model
https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/product-support/Aspire_E5-573 and it has no driver for "graphics" but it has TWO drivers for VGA, one for Intel and one Nvidia. But no hint as to which one to use! How am I supposed to know?

I had one, mistaken reason for thinking I should use Intel, and I unzipped the driver download, and used setup.exe, and immediately got the message "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer. — Setup will exit."

Does this mean I should install the Nvidia driver? I've plugged ahead without knowing what I'm doing so much already and now I'm gun-shy.

**Problems the computer exhibits, all of them video: 1) Once in a while on a web browser, Firefox , one color and maybe the next one (like red and orange) is missing, even though the same color appears elsewhere. How can that be?

2) The most obvious: On google maps, if one has clicked on a location and it appears in the section at the left, under Reviews, all 5 stars are always filled in with black. To see the actual stars, I have to use another computer.

3) When filling out a web survey or personal settings for a bank etc., I
click on a circle and often there is no change.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers