Acer Aspire A515-57 Touchpad Lags,Freezes&Jumps, is there a special elan i2c driver can be download?

MrUhura
MrUhura Member Posts: 3 New User
edited 8:49AM in Aspire Laptops

I have a new Acer Aspire 5 (A515-57) on Windows 11 and the touchpad jumps, falls asleep, doesn't respond, responds too late and is generally laggy. It's practically completely unusable. Things I have tried so far:

• Disable/enable touchpad via the function key.
  • Installed all available Windows updates
  • Installed the latest BIOS update
  • Deactivated all two/three/four-finger gestures
  • Played with the sensitivity level
  • Tap-click completely deactivated
  • Completely reset the touchpad settings
  • Primary mouse buttons swapped and reset
  • Cleaned the touchpad with alcohol
  • Uninstalled and restarted all drivers
  • Installed IO drivers from the support site, restarted the system
  • Hidden drivers also uninstalled, restarted the system
  • Deactivated the power saving function for the drivers
  • Power-saving functions generally deactivated
  • Switched between I2C and PS2 in the BIOS
  • Try not to despair

What specific options are there to solve this problem? I am not the only one who has this problem. Some users write that if you see a laptop user with a mouse, it can only be an Acer user. In any case, it is completely frustrating and time-consuming.

Is there a special elan i2c driver that can be downloaded and installed?

[Edited the topic title to include the topic issue.]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,640 Trailblazer
    edited 8:47AM

Don't use any type of alcohol on laptop parts, just wet wipes or plain water. You wrote "Uninstalled and restarted all drivers", what drivers and how did you restart? It is the 12C Device by Microsoft (Precision software). Make sure that 12C HID is enabled in BIOS and not PS/2, save changes on exit BIOS (F10). Uninstall in Device Manager any Elantech and Synaptics touchpad drivers in Unknow-Other Devices, Mice and other pointing devices and in Hidden Devices. Expand Human Interface Devices and if 12C HID is listed uninstall that device, do not install any drivers but just reboot and Windows will install the Microsoft Precision device. Note that when the battery is drained, and the power adapter is fast charging the performance will drop affecting the touchpad too.

• MrUhura
    edited 12:08PM

Hi Puraw, thank you for your answer:

You wrote "Uninstalled and restarted all drivers", what drivers and how did you restart?

I uninstalled (German OS) - so far i remember:

• HID-kompatibles Touchpad
    • HID-konformes Benutzersteuergerät (HID\ConvertedDevice&Col02)
    • HID-konformes Benutzersteuergerät (HID\VID_1EA7&PID_1006&REV_0103&MI_00&Col02)
    • (hidden) HID-konformes Benutzersteuergerät
    • HID Event Filter
    • Konvertiertes PDC (Portable Device Control)-Gerät
    • I2C HID-Gerät
    • USB-Eingabegerät
    • USB-Eingabegerät
    • (another hidden) USB-Eingabegerät (in the section mouse)

After a reboot, the drivers are installed again. But the not-touchable-touchpad problem still exist.

It is the 12C Device by Microsoft (Precision software).

Now I2C is enabled again, and the current I2C-Driver is:
    I2C HID-Gerät
    Provider: Microsoft
    Date: 21.05.2006
    Version: 10.0.22621.2506
    Hardware-ID: ACPI\VEN_ELAN&DEV_0518

Is this the right driver i your point of view?

Make sure that 12C HID is enabled in BIOS and not PS/2, save changes on exit BIOS (F10).

Ok, i did this.

Uninstall in Device Manager any Elantech and Synaptics touchpad drivers in Unknow-Other Devices, Mice and other pointing devices and in Hidden Devices.

There a none Elantech and/or Synaptics driver to uninstall (except the ELAN WBF Fingerprint Sensor).
    But after each try to enable/disable/uninstall/install the list of drivers is growing, there are many HID drivers with the same name but different hardware ids.

Note that when the battery is drained, and the power adapter is fast charging the performance will drop affecting the touchpad too.

Thank you for that tip, but i tried it with and without connected power adapter, and most of the time with nearly full battery.

• MrUhura

In the Event Viewer I found three warnings “Kernel-PnP” Id 219:

* failed to load Driver\WUDFRd for the device USB\VID_04F3...
    * failed to load Driver\WUDFRd for the device {DD8E82AE...
    * failed to load Driver\WUDFRd for the device PCI\VEN_8086...

Microsoft writes:

The error with the driver \Driver\WudfRd failing to load is associated with the Windows User-Mode Driver Framework...

And advises:

Run the System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tools

• sfc /scannow
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I did this too, with no success.