Win10 fresh installation problems on an intel optane Acer aspire A515-51

morf23
morf23 Member Posts: 1 New User

I had many problems with my laptop, starting when I got a notification that the intel optane module was degrading. Tried to install ubuntu or linux mint into it, but couldn't do it. Went back with the devil (windows), and for a while it was running nice, however at some point, it started freezing or being slow just at random times. At some point I think I have wiped out the partitions, and now I can not do the win 10 installation, because it's telling me that some controllers are gone.

Any help will be appreciated, I just want to use that computer again, I don't care about the intel Optane module. Currently trying to install win10 on AHCI settings, and all the intel optane stuff disabled, but the message of the missing controller is new for me.

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,612 Pathfinder

To resolve the installation issues with Windows 10 on your Acer Aspire A515-51, particularly with the Intel Optane module, follow these steps:

1. Disable Intel Optane Memory

• Access BIOS: Restart your laptop and repeatedly press the F2 or Delete key to enter BIOS settings.
    • Change SATA Mode: Navigate to the Configuration tab and set the SATA mode to AHCI if it’s currently set to Intel RST. This is essential for a clean installation without Optane interference.
    • Disable Optane: Look for options like "Deconcatenate" or "Reset to non-Optane" and disable Optane memory. Save changes and exit BIOS.

2. Prepare for Installation

• Create Windows 10 Installation Media: Use another computer to download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and create a bootable USB drive.
    • Backup Data: Ensure all important data is backed up, as this process may erase existing data on your drive.

3. Install Windows 10

• Boot from USB: Insert the bootable USB into your laptop and restart it, pressing the appropriate key (often F12) to select the USB drive.
    • Delete Existing Partitions: During installation, when prompted, delete all existing partitions on your primary drive (this will remove any remnants of the Optane configuration) and proceed with a fresh installation. Disable Other hard drive from bios and only keep windows drive because you may delete non-windows drive parrtition mistakenly if get confused. Remember you need to delete full windows drive with its partition.

4. Troubleshoot Missing Controller Errors

• If you encounter a "missing controller" error:
      • Ensure that your BIOS settings are correctly configured for AHCI.
      • Try using a different USB port for the installation media.
      • Check if the hard drive is recognized in BIOS; if not, there may be a hardware issue.

5. Post-Installation Steps

• Once installed, update all drivers from Acer's support site, especially chipset and storage drivers.
    • If you wish to use Intel Optane in the future, ensure that it is properly configured in BIOS after confirming system stability with Windows.

Following these steps should help you successfully reinstall Windows 10 on your Acer Aspire A515-51 without issues related to Intel Optane memory.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566