Acer Spin model SP513-54N no bootable device found sometimes

FenderGuy
FenderGuy Member Posts: 38 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited October 15 in Swift and Spin Series

So I had some coffee spill in my laptop bag but didnt get on my laptop and I made sure by letting it go back forth on a pillow to see if any coffee would come out and none did. I opened the rear panel as well and disconnected the battery to reset everything. It was clean. Every since I did the battery re-set. My start my Spin, I will get no bootable device found. I turn it off and back on and the drive boots up. I am currently at a Coffee shop and the no bootable device came up 2 times, on the 3rd time it booted up. I am assuming since I disconnected the battery (it was off) and re-set. Something didnt re-set correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Best Answer

• FenderGuy
    Answer ✓

Well today I received a new battery and I put that battery in and it wouldn't start as well. I thought my laptop was toast, until I went to youtube and typed in Acer wont start. I was told to disconnect the main battery and the battery that looks like a quarter and hold the power button down for 30 seconds….That worked and I am typing the reply on my now working Spin 5. I decided to leave in the replacement battery as the old battery was acting funny and draining quickly at times. But I am glad I didnt send in my unit to fixed for $680+

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,537 Trailblazer

What Spin model do you have, if not SP314-51 or SP513-51 that have soldered RAM, you should check the Ram modules as they may have become dislodged or are bad, if you have a spare RAM module try installing that one. If you have a 2.5" Sata-3 HDD that could be failing, the bootloader on your boot drive may be corrupted (very common), I recommend bringing your Spin to Acer Services in your country to check this and all other components and reset the system to factory default for a small service fee,

• FenderGuy

I have the spin

SP513-54N

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,815 Trailblazer

Your SP513-54N has an NVMe SSD installed in the M.2 slot. The no bootable device message happens when the system either doesn't find a drive or finds it but can't load files from it. When you had it apart did you take the drive out for any reason? If so you might not have it fully seated in the slot, or you might have not reinstalled the screw that holds it in place. It is also possible the drive is in the process of failing, but I would expect it to give SMART errors if that were the case.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FenderGuy

I called Acer to see what options I had, they said I would need to send in the device and most likey it would cost $680+ ……..Shocked that Acer would think its customers would pay that much, when a new laptop could be bought for that….I think its the battery….so I ended up buying a replacement battery to see if it. If that doesnt work….I will be done with Acer since I have been with them since 2012 and maybe its time for a new manufacturer

• FenderGuy

When I first took it apart I didnt even touch the drive, I just looked to see if anything was loose. Nothing was loose. The unit itself doesnt want to start, which leads me to think it is a battery issue. I did install another MVME SSD that I know works and the same thing, the laptop didnt want to start. Which again leads me to think its the battery. The power light and the battery light come on, but the battery light changes from blue to orange. Before this I was having a werid happening with the battery as it would harbirnate and in the morning would show 45% and than drain all the sudden. I am thinking for 4 years the battery is toast now

• FenderGuy
    Answer ✓

Well today I received a new battery and I put that battery in and it wouldn't start as well. I thought my laptop was toast, until I went to youtube and typed in Acer wont start. I was told to disconnect the main battery and the battery that looks like a quarter and hold the power button down for 30 seconds….That worked and I am typing the reply on my now working Spin 5. I decided to leave in the replacement battery as the old battery was acting funny and draining quickly at times. But I am glad I didnt send in my unit to fixed for $680+