Predator Monitor X32Q FS - HDR is too dark/dim

Sanyifashion
Sanyifashion Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 15 in Predator Monitors

Hey, I've just purchased this monitor and although it looks very good in SDR and insanely bright, the HDR mode is just broken for me. It is way to dim, with adaptive dimming set to Fast, there are like foggy areas in dark scenes around brighter objects, but overall it's very hard to make out what's there.

As the color settings cannot be changed in HDR mode, I can only change it from the NVIDIA control panel and it seems that setting the gamma from 1.0 to 1.40-1.55 does the trick, a +10-20% boost to vibrance and contrast can also help, but the gamma is the real deal. I have an OLED monitor next to this one so I can easily compare the two and with these settings, it's getting closer to that.
The same darkness can be observed in games and with a Nokia tv box connected to one of the HDMI ports, when the HDR is enabled.

I'm thinking about returning the monitor because messing around the color settings every time is too much of a hassle, especially that I use it for work 90% of the time and you also cannot change adaptive dimming in the Acer Widget, only in the OSD, which is a bummer…
I've seen there were similar issues with the predecessor: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/679911/x32fp-hdr-issue-ive-been-having-issues-with-hdr-specifically-hdr-is-very-dark
And there is a new firmware for that, supposedly improving the HDR experience, any news about this model getting a new FW with a fix? Or can anyone suggest a solution for this?

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,435 Trailblazer

Hi, did you try the Windows HDR Calibration (see below)? Use the Windows HDR Calibration tool to adjust the brightness and contrast settings for HDR content, or try a different HDR video.

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,590 Pathfinder

Many users report that the Acer Predator X32Q FS has issues with HDR being too dim, even with adaptive dimming set to Fast. This can lead to foggy areas in dark scenes and difficulty seeing details. Adjusting gamma settings in the NVIDIA control panel has helped some, suggesting a gamma increase to around 1.40-1.55 for better visibility. Firmware updates may address these issues, but many users still find HDR performance lacking compared to other monitors. If the hassle of adjusting settings is too much, considering a return might be wise.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Sanyifashion
    Sanyifashion Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the responses, I tried the HDR calibration tool and applied the new profiles I created but to no avail, HDR is still too dim unfortunately. 😕 Adjusting the gamma works for me in Windows, but it will not work with the TV box, since I can't do that there (or I may have to search for an app, that can…). The only thing that works, is to change the monitor into standard or user mode and tweak the settings, while the box outputs an HDR signal.

I've attached some pictures of a H265 HDR video I played back with MPC-HC, bottom one is the default HDR, second one is an OLED monitor and the first is the gamma adjusted HDR.