Spin 5: Power button does not turn on when lid is closed

dschwert
dschwert Member Posts: 2 New User
edited 11:36AM in Swift and Spin Series

Hi!

With the end of Windows 10 I would like to turn my Spin 5 into my main PC, with an external monitor connected via USB-C.

I'm quite sure that I could power up my Spin 5 when the lid was closed.
(Why else would the power button be on the side?)

Now, this does not work any more. How can I reactivate the behaviour? The BIOS does not seem to have any settings.

The model is SP513-55N-72ER, Windows Home is now 23H2

Regards,

Dietmar

P.S.: It is not helpful that the search field on this website does search through all forums instead of only the current one.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,367 Trailblazer

Hi Dietmar, you cannot use an Acer laptop like a desktop, BIOS does not have a Wake on power function and even if you set the Closing the lid to do nothing it will suspend (Modern standby) the system and BIOS will switch it to Hibernate after some time. The power button will not be able to wake from this Hibernate state with the lid closed. Also, there is the system cooling to consider as the Spin 5 will overheat with the lid closed if somehow you would be able to tweak the registry/BIOS.

• dschwert
    dschwert Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited 12:49PM

Well, it used to work some months ago, so it must be a software problem.

It's possible to turn it on, close the lid and continue to work with the external monitor. Only turning on is no longer possible.

Cooling should not be a problem. Main ventilation is done via bottom and rear. The ventilation at top seems to be a backup only, when the 2-in-one is used in tablet mode.