Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 (A315-21-49NU) keyboard not accesible during startup.

istme1
istme1 Member Posts: 1 New User

hello,

i have an A315-21 which after a long time of storage and not charging its battery, came to a day to be sold.

The laptop was working ok after many years. Then i formated the hard drives and removed them to be used to apple mac as i changed platform.

I put the laptop charge the battery and from orange became blue. i noticed it did not last long and shut down when power cable was removed. i tested if was not battery by removing charger whilc was charging and it was switching off, not holding charge on battery.

i plugged the chip original 129gb which came with and a 250gb hdd in caddy.

Switched laptop on and tried to go to bios but could not remember the cursed combination…

i was getting messages no bootable device and when i was trying to boot form usb win 10 installer was getting not secure boot etc. Then i realised it could be the installer so i re-formated one 8gb usb2 portable usb with rufus GPT and UEFI nonCSM options file system ntfs and it booted ok but when pressing F2 or F10 or F12 etc combination to access bios was not working for a reason maybe not synchronizing with the logo display on lcd etc.

So, i decided to let the usb boot and continue the installation of win 10 pro 20H2. The installer showed the hard drives ok in a screen later on.

One was the M2 and other the non-ssd. Both showed its approx capacities ok.

I could not select them and format them at all for a reason. maybe because came form mac OSX formats. So i selected the first one the non-M2 and clicked on NEW option in the devices same info window.

windows installed ok. keyboard was also ok as i entered info in the fields before.

After that I restarted with automated login, removed the hdd and restared from usb again to install windows on the M2 drive. The reason is it was booting on the hdd and was bypassing the usb drive. i guess this was the boot order set in bios.

Under exact same situation as above, i clicked NEW on the M2 drive and install was ok. then i realised, when i had to type a name for my computer or other field info via keyboard it was not working at all.

I decided to press down power button for some seconds and stop install where it was and reformat etc afterwards, as i usually do on mac and maybe the power button could reset battery also etc. i did that. I think after that the keyboard was not recognised anymore…

I restarted the installation on the M2 and I continued with the onscreen keyboard instead, but could not install windows on the M2 as it was shown ssd with 7KB capacity approx instead of 128GB. now i could recognise it at all. does not mount or show up even on mac disk utility. Not sure if has what is called damaged MBR and how to fix it as i dont have keyboard to type in command line.

Below i give you some info from photos i had on my hdd from the days acer was working and these are settings from that past era of accessible BIOS. I say this because after the above, i tried installing from USB again and on the screen before the storage section etc, was an option REPAIR your pc. I clicked on that and no options were fixing anything. I clicked the UEFI bios firmware access choice and it booted in bios BUT the screen was asking for a password and keyboard was not working there also ! i dont remember if i set pwd for that but not sure whats going on.

Bios settings are possibly the same settings in bios now.
1. bios v1.02
2. Sata mode AHCI
3. F12 boot menu enabled
i see also a GPT partition record of the M2 ssd taken long time ago but i formated this ssd and i guess this info may still be in bios or may be lost or this is what causes problems.

4. AMD iommu= enabled
5. svm support= enabled
6. sata= ports 0,1 enabled
7. Secure boot= standard.
8. secure boot= enabled
9. boot mode= uefi
10. boot order= M2 ssd kingston.

I also have a photo of a past message saying that i must execute Win 8 under UEFI boot to enjoy full features… which ones dont know…

Finally. POWER BUTTON IS WORKING OK. All other keys are not working at all.

So, now the questions are many but above all.

A. how do i bring the keyboard back in operation.

B. how to reset laptop to factory via key combinations, i hope they work.

C. How can i make the M2 recognisable again or bring it to an initialisable state. not sure if i need to flash it first etc. it was flashed with latest firmware at the time laptop was working ok and had no issues.

D. Other solutions and if possible correct way to format a usb installer if Rufus settings above are wrong with the 20H2 windows.

thats all for now.