Realtek Dragon network traffic manager -- safe to uninstall?

Kahlua
Kahlua Member Posts: 1 New User

The Realtek Dragon software came preinstalled with my Nitro N50 gaming desktop. However it looks like the software when active really limits the bandwidth to all apps soon after startup. When I launch an app like Firefox or Spotify, it takes maybe 5 minutes to load its home page. After that initial delay the apps seem to operate normally though perhaps at a slightly reduced speed. It is worth noting that my Internet speed is only 20 Mbps download so there is not much bandwidth to work with. I tried to find a way to prevent Dragon from running at startup but could not find a way either in settings or Task Manager startup. I would like to just uninstall it but want to know if it is safe to do so.

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,239 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Yes, uninstall all preinstalled bloatware like Intel Connectivity Performance Suite and RTK Dragon as these programs don't do anything useful for networking, check Task Manager Processes how many background apps you have running those should not exceed 75, uninstall some programs you don't really need like 3rd-party browsers, antivirus checkers, trial versions, Acer bloatware like Acer Care Center. Some will require special uninstallers that you can download from their websites like McAfee, etc. Some devices you need to disable in Device Manager like Acer Care Center, etc. as even after uninstalling they will be reinstalled by Windows Update. Intel bloatware the same issue.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,239 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Yes, uninstall all preinstalled bloatware like Intel Connectivity Performance Suite and RTK Dragon as these programs don't do anything useful for networking, check Task Manager Processes how many background apps you have running those should not exceed 75, uninstall some programs you don't really need like 3rd-party browsers, antivirus checkers, trial versions, Acer bloatware like Acer Care Center. Some will require special uninstallers that you can download from their websites like McAfee, etc. Some devices you need to disable in Device Manager like Acer Care Center, etc. as even after uninstalling they will be reinstalled by Windows Update. Intel bloatware the same issue.