Acer Triton 17X / PTX17-71: max memory and USB C PD

PALCER324
PALCER324 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi everyone. Just making a couple of remarks on the Triton 17X.

By the way, second time post, because somehow the forum just lost the initial post.

After a 600 seconds "spam block" because I have "posted 1 times within 240 seconds".

And what's the difference between "save draft" and "save" ?

What a mess this whole thing is.

Concerning memory: the laptop can be ordered as 2x 16 Gb DDR5 (32 Gb in total) or 2x 32 Gb (64 Gb in total), both 5600. I had my initial configuration as 32 Gb, as I intended to upgrade it to 2x 48 Gb (96 Gb in total). Well, go figure - the 96 Gb kit that I got from Crucial is just not recognised at all. WHY ? Is any BIOS update needed for this to be possible ?

By the way, since, I've found the following:

• All memory that I've tried (certified 5600) other than the Hynix originally provided reverts to 5200 or 4800 only. Again, why? This is the case with Crucial and Kingston, at least. Again, I've always used 5600 rated kits, and none work at 5600.
  • If I mix a single 48 Gb stick, the laptop will actually boot. BIOS sees it as 32 Gb, but Windows shows it as 48 Gb. But speed is also not 5600. So far, the best I have achieved is 48 Gb + 32 Gb = 80 Gb, at 5200, but short of the intended 96 Gb 5600.

Laptop being high end, 4090 Mobile, i9-13900HX, dual NVME, how come I cannot have it at 96 Gb DDR5 5600 ???

Concerning power: the laptop is provided with a stupidly huge 300W+ power brick (brick being the proper description). Understandable, one may say (given the specs). But in a day of compact GAN chargers, could not an effort be made to make the whole ***** thing lighter? It is around an extra Kg to lug around, with a laptop that is already heavy itself. Given the laptop price, a better-optimised GAN charger rather than a brick could be expected. But let it be. My issue is actually with USB C PD.

I understand that USB PD is not really intended for heavy usage. But I could PERFECTLY take the trade of half / quarter performance using USB PD at 100W.

And this IS POSSIBLE. At least it is possible using certain configurations. I have made a clean install of Windows 11 Pro 24H2, and using Automatic Display Mode, and the latest Nvidia Studio Drivers and PredatorSense App as of today (08/10/2024), and all the Power Saver plans / settings, AND rebooting into Windows using a 100W USB PD cable and charger attached, I can actually get more performance than I need for as long as I need it. Actually the GPU delivers more performance than it should, thus risking discharging the battery in the long run. So, could this not just be a bit limited?

Because, as it stands, the alternative (and what actually happens as standard) is that the Nvidia GPU handles the load on USB C PD, but then it sort of "hiccups" (lack of a better term) and reverts to a basic sleep state where it stays at EXTREMELY low frequencies / performance / wattage (never goes beyond say 15W) and all USB C PD usage goes down the drain.

It is even made worse because of "updates" (via Windows Update) to "Acer Components", including one that arrived yesterday - version 1.2.101.2 - that just wrecks USB PD completely, making it impossible no matter what for the GPU to go beyond 15W or so using the PD charger.

And now that I'm at it, just reporting that starting the laptop from shutdown has been a consistent stream of blue screens until it decides itself to boot. Rebooting is not an issue, just getting back from shutdown. This despite having disabled hibernation and fast startup and such.

It also does not like waking up from sleep.

All to be expected from ***** Windows, but still !

So, TLDR - any chance to having this machine working properly with 2x 48 Gb DDR5, and any chance to have this machine not completely gimped (just partially) using USB PD 100W ?

And although these forums are "peer to peer", hopefully someone at Acer reads this.

Cheers everyone !