Spin 3 (Sp314-54N) Having Touchpad Issue-It can left click and perform the multiple finger gestures.

ahdmagic
ahdmagic Member Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 3:06PM in Swift and Spin Series

Acer Spin 3 (Sp314-54N) having Touchpad issues

I am having issues with my Touchpad on my Acer 3. It can left click and perform the multiple finger gestures, such as two fingers to scroll. It will not right click and it will not allow me to click and drag. I can use two finger tap to right click. The touch screen works fine. Plugging in a mouse works fine.

I have tried:

• restarting, several times
  • made certain right click is enabled
  • hitting the F7 key to disable and re-enable the Touchpad
  • uninstalling drivers
  • installing new drivers

In device manager under "Mice and Other Pointing Devices" I can see see two devices listed, both called "HID-compliant mouse"

Under "Human Interface Devices" I can see "HID-compliant touch pad" and "Synaptics HID Device" among many others.

Following instructions on the Acer website, I installed the Serial IO driver and then the Elantech Touchpad driver and the Synaptics Touchpad driver.

So far nothing has worked to restore the full functions.

I thought it was a hardware issue, but I cleaned the Touchpad, and I can feel it click when I press it.

What else can I do?

[Edited the topic title to include the topic issue.]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,659 Trailblazer

Yes, no need to install the Elantech driver, you have the Synaptics hardware, not the Elantech hardware. Your SP314-54N is new enough you likely don't have a swelling battery that would push against the touchpad from below, but that is always a possibility still. You might have an issue with the connection between the cable running from the touchpad and the motherboard, where it's not making good contact. That cable connects at #14 on this diagram:

To get to it, there are 11 screws on the bottom case to remove. You remove the bottom case and disconnect the battery:

There are actually two cables that run between the touchpad and motherboard, the second is for the fingerprint reader, the touchpad cable is the wider of the two:

You flip that locking tab up and the cable should be completely loose. You might try wiping the contacts with an alcohol swab then reassembling after it dries.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.