acer swift 3 315-512 not turning on

bipindr123
bipindr123 Member Posts: 1 Newbie
edited October 5 in Swift and Spin Series

The laptop just randomly turns on sometimes but most of the time doesn't turn on. No charging light when it's plugged in. This happened randomly, one day it's all working fine, and the next morning it stopped turning on.

I've tried

1. Reset pin button for 30 seconds on the back
  2. manually disconnect battery for 1/2 hour
  3. Holding power button for 30 seconds
  4. cleaned the laptop of dust

Sometimes leaving the laptop plugged in for a long time makes it turn on, but doesnt work all the time. When it turned on I could see the battery was charged.

The blue light only appears when I press the power button and then disappears as soon as I leave the button.

Acer service center on call said its going to cost $600+ but i bought it refurbished for $380.

Any idea what could be wrong? Can it be the motherboard?

Its an acer swift 3 315-512 i5 1240p

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,170 Trailblazer

Hi, there may be a bad contact in one of the two RAM modules, check the seating of the modules or if you have a spare RAM module install that. If the power rail or power button is bad it should not cost that much. If the motherboard needs replacement trade-in this refurbished Swift and get a new 14" Swift for $800.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,633 Trailblazer
    edited 12:10AM

There is no such model as the Swift 3 315-512 or SF315-512 or even the Spin SP315-512, there is a Swift SF315-51 or SF315-52, have a look again on the underside of the laptop sticker as there should be something like a SF315-51-xxxx number on that sticker, do not quote the Model Number: like and similar to this number N20C1, as that is not what your Swift is identified by.

With the power on problems that you are experiencing and if your laptop is the Swift SF315-51 (but it doesn’t matter what model it is) its a sign of the laptops EC chip that is on its way out as its freezing and just temporarily engaging and working as it should, the EC chip governs the boot process and many more commands of the laptop and it’s a programmed chip that can be replaced by a technician, if its not the EC chip then you have some shorted msofet or capacitors in the main power rail of your laptop that all need to be diagnosed by a technician and fixed, you can’t fix this laptop with any reset. Good luck and hope this helps yopu out further.

Swift SF315-51 laptop mobo, the EC chip is circled in red.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍