Swift1 114 32 increase disk C from D impossible?

Brifou
Brifou Member Posts: 5 New User
edited October 4 in Swift and Spin Series

Next to install SSDS ESO 860 500GB from Samsung increasing drice D, I need to increase capacity of drive C (VID:90 hC8aP). However it seems impossible to transfer capacity from SSD drive D to drive C. Is this correct? Because they are 2 physically separated disks?

Thanks in advance your kind for advice, I'm trying since 1 full week without any success.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,189 Trailblazer

Boot to BIOS with F2 and change in the Main screen the Sata mode from RST-Optane/Raid to AHCI and you will have two separate drives. Note that you may have to press Ctrl+S in BIOS Main to see these Sata options and after changing save the changes when exit BIOS.

• Brifou

Thank you Puran.

It may not answer my question as my objective is to transfert memory capacities between drive D and drive D but I do not manage to achieve it.

I have tried 100+ options, but always failed because it seems my swift 1 does have 2 physically separated disc C and D, meaning it is not possible to transfert any capacity between distinct separated C & D.

Hence my question: is it true that C&D are physically separated?

If yes, then I need to upgrade C with another option.

Thank you in advance

Patrick

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,660 Trailblazer

Open Disk Management and show us that picture. You have, at least, a 500GB SSD in your M.2 slot. What else you have isn't obvious, as is the full model number of your computer. I'm guessing it's a SF114-32, which is a 14"Swift from 2019 that has either a Celeron or Pentium CPU from the Gemini Lake chipset. If so, there is no connection for a second physical drive, so you must only have the one. There are utilities that will allow you to remove the D: drive and expand the C: drive if that really is your model…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Brifou

Dear

Thank you very much for your answer.

Below as requested:

Disk Management and show us that picture

full model number of your computer, indeed it's a Celeron

ACER SWIFT1 114 32

Nom de l'appareil Brigitte1
    Processeur Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4020 CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.10 GHz
    Mémoire RAM installée 4,00 Go (3,81 Go utilisable)
    ID de périphérique CF1EB462-1A99-455E-A41C-FCBB4AAF71F2
    ID de produit 00356-02328-11416-AAOEM
    Type du système Système d’exploitation 64 bits, processeur x64
    Stylet et fonction tactile La fonctionnalité d’entrée tactile ou avec un stylet n’est pas disponible sur cet écran

Édition Windows 11 Famille
    Version 23H2
    Installé le ‎30/‎09/‎2024
    Build du système d’exploitation 22631.4249
    Expérience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22700.1041.0

I would like to reduce C down to ca 60/100MB, which was the case when I installed SSD 500GB SAmsung ESO 860. However, I had to replace the keyboard, next to it I realized the distribution of the memory was mostly gone from D to C. So I'm trying to :

1/ get it most of 500GB back to D ⇒ if you tell me it's one single disc, then I guess the "system" put most of SSD memory on partition Disque 0, which appears in the disk management to have the same name as the removed HDD: "Hynix hC8aP"?? I'm totally lost!!

2/ users (utilisateurs) are copied on both disks C &D:

Shouln't users be present on D only?

Many thanks for your support!

Patrick (for Brigitte)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,660 Trailblazer

OK, the model number then is SF114-32 (the dash is important when doing searches on Acer's sites). Is there a chance you have a 64GB SD card installed? That would be in #1 on this view:

If so, then the answer is "no, you can't merge C: and D: into one partition". If you need more space on C: you will need to replace the existing 512GB SSD with a larger one. It's also possible your system arrived with a 64GB eMMC drive on the motherboard (currently D:) and you installed a 512GB drive to replace that. In that case you might be able to merge them, but it isn't recommended since when the eMMC eventually fails it would corrupt the larger partition. You can free up space on the D: drive by using Disk Management to remove the old partitions and create one single data partition with the full space, but that still only gives you 64GB (actually more like 58GB). I'd want to look at what's filling up C:. It's most likely data in your documents, downloads, pictures, videos, music, etc., but possible it's an app that storing a bunch of data like log files.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Brifou

Thank you for your answer.

There is NO 64GB SD card installed in slot 1 (since purchase, for my wife Brigitte, I changed original HDD

by SSD ESO 860 500GB and recently replaced her key board, nothing else.

But indeed, this is possible: "

your system arrived with a 64GB eMMC drive on the motherboard (currently D:) and you installed a 512GB drive to replace that"… and then you recommend not to merge.

What is puzzling me, is that before replacing keyboard, the disk mgt was ok (C=~ 60GB and D=500GB), it all changed next to I reassembled her Swift1. I've the impression, former C became replaced by D and vice versa. But the logo of the system remains on C and users on it…

thank you for your advice.

Patrick