Acer Aspire 5 A514-54 laptop battery issues

neildoyle92
neildoyle92 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I have been having various issues with an Acer Aspire 5 A514-54 laptop, which is no longer under warranty. I have browsed the forums here and tried many suggestions but nothing has worked, so I'm hoping someone can help me pinpoint the issue, because the laptop works perfectly otherwise.

The issues:

• When plugged in, battery indicator reaches 19% charge and doesn't go any higher.
  • When unplugged, the laptop doesn't power on, and if it is powered on when I unplug it, it immediately switches off.
  • When the battery is plugged into the motherboard, the laptop is extremely slow. eg. It takes a couple of minutes to start up, 30 seconds to load a webage, 20 seconds to load file explorer, 5 seconds to open the start menu. Clearly not intended behaviour.
  • When I unplug the battery from the motherboard and run it plugged into the wall, the laptop is extremely fast and responsive, everything is instant, it runs like a dream.

I have tried:

• Replacing the battery with a new one.
  • Replacing the charging cable with a new one.
  • Disabling fast startup.
  • Discharging the battery by holding the battery +/- button on the back of the laptop for 30 seconds with the laptop powered off.
  • Holding the power button for 1 minute with the laptop powered off.
  • Upgrading to the latest BIOS.
  • Downgrading to the very first BIOS.
  • Toggling just about every BIOS setting.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling battery and power drivers, both by allowing them to auto-install, and by downloading from ACER website.
  • Reinstalling Windows.
  • Running a different OS on the laptop (Ubuntu - same performance issues present).
  • Installed Acer Care Center - which doesn't seem to function at all.

Many thanks, in advance.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,103 Trailblazer

Don't use Acer Care Center that does not work well in Windows11. Check Windows Services if you see accSvc or AcerAgentSvc and stop these services, disable the Startup type in Properties and click on Apply. You state you downgraded BIOS, did you flash BIOS with a USB drive? This model is 4 years old, and may have a defective power rail/DC socket, have you checked the Gen3 SSD and the RAM module? You state you replaced the power "cable", does that mean the power adapter or just the AC cable? Does your power adapter have the correct 3.0mm x 1.1mm plug? If nothing helps consider bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country, include the power adapter. They will reset the system to factory default and reprogram the EEPROM.

• noha12
    noha12 Member Posts: 1 New User

When swapping to a motherboard that supports XMP, ensure it's compatible with your components. First, check that the new board’s form factor fits your case (e.g., ATX, Micro-ATX). Also, verify CPU socket compatibility, RAM type (DDR4/DDR5), and power supply connectors. Lastly, confirm there’s enough room for your GPU and storage. Compatibility checks and using PC part pickers can help ensure a smooth swap.