Does gaming while charging the nitro an515-58 damage the laptop/battery?

EebyDeebyHeeHee
EebyDeebyHeeHee Member Posts: 2 New User
edited 3:12PM in Nitro Gaming

Ive had this laptop for about 6 months and it was my first gaming laptop, so I didn't really know at the time about how important keeping the laptop from reaching high temperatures and keeping the vents clean from dust was. While gaming my battery would drain pretty quickly, which I learned was because since it's a gaming laptop that means high performance uses more battery, so when my laptop got low I would just plug in the charger and continue gaming, not thinking anything of it. Then I started getting concerned that I was damaging the battery and was having issues with the laptop getting close to overheating. My sister had a similar issue with her laptop where she would use it while plugged in, and she had to get the battery replaced because that damaged it. I reached out to Acer support expressing my concerns and ended up shipping it out to get the battery replaced. Though when I got it back the battery life didn't seem to have improved at all. My battery life expectancy will drop from 3 hours to 40 minutes just by starting up a game. I'm starting to wonder if keeping the laptop plugged in or charging it mid-game when the battery starts getting low is safe. Will it actually damage the battery or any other parts of the laptop? I've seen forums online saying that it won't but I want to know for sure.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,115 Pathfinder

@EebyDeebyHeeHee
    For gaming laptop, keep it plugged in all the time to max out the performance. It will do less harm on the battery.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • EebyDeebyHeeHee
    EebyDeebyHeeHee Member Posts: 2 New User

@AnhEZ28 I also use a wireless mouse and a cooling station sometimes which uses more battery, I'm wondering if that does harm on the battery. The mouse is plugged in all the time, but I don't use the cooling station unless I need to. I am also confused because I was told before that charging the battery while gaming/using the laptop ruins the battery, but now I'm being told the opposite, I'm not sure what to do. Some of the games that I play use high graphics but I have considered lowering the graphics to save power and to prevent overheating. I've started editing my settings to put less strain on the graphics and to disable background programs that I don't use, as according to a reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/AcerNitro/comments/rfwjah/how_i_achieved_12_hours_battery_lifeguide/ that explains how to maximize battery life, but I'm not sure if every single step is necessary.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,791 Trailblazer

Keep it plugged in while gaming. And instead of a cooler, best to raise laptop about an inch above a hard surface taking care not to block or impede air intake & exhaust vents. I use a toaster oven wire grating to raise my laptops to promote better cooling. Cooler fans sometime create air counter-flows to internal laptop fans which can actually impede flow and cause overheating. Keep it simple. Don't overthink or fret over this.

Jack E/NJ