Upgrade replacement for NVidia GeForce 520M on Acer Travelmate 5360G

TheFGFSEagle
TheFGFSEagle Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Acer TravelMate 5360G with an Nvdia GeForce 520M as dedicated GPU, in addition to the Intel GPU. I'd like to replace this GPU for which there aren't even any more drivers in the latest release of my OS (Ubuntu 24.04) with a more modern and powerful NVidia card. What would you recommend as a drop-in replacement ?

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,000 Trailblazer

Hi, the Acer TravelMate 5360G uses an Intel® Celeron® B815 processor1. This processor is typically soldered onto the motherboard, meaning it uses a BGA (Ball Grid Array) socket. The same for the dGPU chipset, you would need to replace the motherboard.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,522 Trailblazer

You can’t replace the NVidia 520M GPU on this laptop, as its GPU is soldered onto the mainboard and the TravelMate 5360G all came with different types of NVidia 520M GPUs, like the top of the range was fitted with the 520M 2GB DDR3 or the 520M 1GB DDR3 or the lower end with the 520M 512MB DDR3 memory.

Remember that your latop is a 2012 latop and its old. The only other thing that you can upgrade for better performance and more memory to make the NVidia 520M GPU perform better, is to increase the ram as this laptop can have the below ram specs in windows 64bit

You can also upgrade the 2.5” SATA 3 mechanical HDD to a 2.5” SATA 3 SSD drive which you should have done already and of course the oem Intel Socket 988P CPU that Acer fitted to this laptop like from its lowest spec i3-2310M to a i5-2410 or a i5-2520Mor a i5- 2540M or the top of the range Core i7-2620M which all have a TDP of 35W but if you want more CPU performance then upgrade to the more powerful TDP 45W like the Core i7-2720QM CPU. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍