G3-710 CPU upgrade

turboron
turboron Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

I recently bought a used G3-710 board, CPU and RAM combo and my plan was to use it as a home media server. It came with an i5-6400 but my plan was to upgrade it to an i3-7100, as 7th generation is the minimum to do hardware transcoding and I'm currently using an i3-7100 fine in another PC, but it is an HP SFF which has limited storage and I was running out. After getting the combo tested to make sure everything was working properly, I sought out to update the BIOS to the latest but came across "R02 BIOS only compatible with Intel 7th Gen Kabylake platform. Not upgrade from R01.". Does this mean that I can't install a 7th gen CPU in this board? If so, this is an unwelcome artificial limitation imposed by Acer. In my experience as a computer technician, any 6th gen board I've come across has always been compatible with 7th gen CPUs (usually with a BIOS update) whether the board is OEM or aftermarket. The supposed two different revisions of Acer motherboards look the same and they're both B150 chipsets, which according to Intel, supports both 6th and 7th gen CPUs. I don't usually buy Acer stuff but it was fairly cheap and should have worked for my use case, based on my experience with all other 6-7th gen gear. It's absolutely ridiculous if the CPU cannot be upgraded.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,517 Trailblazer

The reason why you have that bios problem with the G3-710 bios version: R02-B2 or similar is because the Acer Predator G3-710 bios is designed specifically by Acer for the following CPUs and not the i3-7100 CPU that you have, get rid of that slow 😁slug i3-7100 CPU and then the Acer bios will work and you will be able to upgrade to the last bios version: R02-B2 from the G3-710 Acer Support page.

Install one of the below CPUs into the Acer Intel Skylake B150 chipset mobo and the last bios version R02-B2 will work 100% and will update for perfectly so that you can use the mobo.

Here are the compatible LGA 1151 socket type CPUs - the mobo and bios Supports the following Intel Kabylake-S processors:

Here are the RAM Specs and RAM type modules and the mobo layout to assist you further:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍