Thunderbolt not transferring video on my new Helios Neo 16

Durra89
Durra89 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited 4:39AM in Predator Laptops

Hi,

I got my new Helios Neo 16 yesterday and it works smoothly. However when I plug in my USB-C that is connected to a dock station (Dell dock) where I have 2 screens plugged in and all other things (mouse, headset, keyboard etc). The screens are using the Display ports and has worked fine with my previous laptop (Gigabyte 7 from 2021)

Right now everything except my screens work from thunder port, I’ve tried both of them. mouse, keyboard is working but no screen, any suggestions?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,933 Trailblazer
    edited 4:12AM

Possibly the DP graphics adapter of the Dell docking station is incompatible or the DP cables are faulty. You may also have a power issue; what is the power output of the Dell hub, have you tried to plug in the 330-W brick power adapter in the DC port of the laptop as well as the Dell in the USB-C port? Have you tried to connect the external monitors directly to the USB-C ports and only the 330-W brick power adapter plugged in?

• Durra89

thanks for answer but how does that explain that this setup works on my previous gaming laptop, on my office laptop and my girlfriends HP laptop.

I can check cables but feels strange since it worked fine before I swapped laptops.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,933 Trailblazer

Different motherboards, different TBT versions, what works on one laptop not necessarily works for another laptop. Did you look into the huge power consumption of the Neo 16, you may not be getting sufficient power from the Dell to power 2 external monitors and the Neo16, are the monitors plugged in with AC cords or are they powered by the DP ports of the DELL?

• Durra89

Yeah I noticed the power consumption, both screens are plugged in with AC cords and not powered by the DELL station. I got it to work briefly on one monitor yesterday after alot of changing in the GPU mode (Optimus, Auto and NVIDIA Only) but its only powered one screen with full Hz and the other was some kind of fail-over version. This didnt work as soon as I rebooted the laptop so obviously its something between the TBT and the dock-station. I will try with another dock-station but hard to know which one I might need, until that I will plug in both screens directly to the laptop through HDMI + USB C.

Are you using external monitors to the laptop and have a good solution?

• Durra89

My docking station is 130W from DELL, hard to know if this is enough to power the screens. Anyway for me to analyze if the issue is the docking station or the Laptop settings/TBT