can my veriton M2631 with 2.7 UEFI bios run i7 4th gen

youness1516
youness1516 Member Posts: 1 Newbie

I have an acer veriton M2631 that originally had a 4th gen i3, I upgraded the cpu to an i5 4570 as well an the ram to 8gb and I added a batter psu and gpu , and lately I started getting a cpu bottleneck ware my cpu is well above 90% and my gpu is at 60% and now I wan to upgrade to an i7 4790 but I'm not sure if itll work or not

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Yes, the 4570 and 4790 both have the same TDP (84W), so the cooling needed is the same. BIOS version won't make a difference so you should be good to go. Likely it's not going to make much difference with the system performance. What are the rest of your current specs? We typically suggest the first upgrade is to swap out the HDD for a SSD. You have two SATA 6.0G ports and two SATA 3.0G ports. The DVD should be connected to one of the latter, any HDDs or SSDs to the former. SATA 1&2 are the faster ones, SATA 3&4 the slower. Next max out the memory, your system supports either DDR3 1600 or DDR3 1333 memory, up to 8GB per DIMM. Use either two 4GB or two 8GB DIMMs in the 1600 speed for best performance. Next is the GPU, if you are trying to run games or doing anything that is graphics intensive you will want to drop a GPU card in. Your system is old enough that might not be cost effective, but used cards that are a couple of generations old or older will likely be faster than the builtin GPU functions. You have either a 200W or 300W power supply (likely 200W since your system didn't have a discrete GPU) so be aware of the power restrictions. Something like an NVIDIA 1030 would likely work well. Only after all those changes would it be worthwhile to change the CPU. The i7 has as the major change over the i5 multi thread support, so four cores than can handle eight thread rather than four cores that can handle four thread. If your apps aren't multi-threaded you won't see much change at all. The 3.4GHz vs. 3.6GHz is minor, about 6%.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.