Aspire A515-55-54kv both Ethernet & Wifi not connecting

fdavejh
fdavejh Member Posts: 3 New User

I have an Aspire that was working fine until yesterday and now the Ethernet & Wifi say they are not connecting to the internet even though I can see the laptop on my router as it has an IP and gateway address

Laptop updates are up to date , have turned off internet security , still didn't help

Have downloaded and reloaded drivers

Any ideas

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited September 18

If you can see the Wi-Fi and/or the LAN in Device Manager > Network adapters do the below driver refresh and see if the latest driver is refreshed and working, otherwise uninstall both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers and do a clean install of the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers for your Atheros or Intel card from the Acer support page for the Aspire A515-55 laptop. Its impossible that both the WLAN and LAN are faulty and not working, as they are two different and separate chips. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Refresh driver like this: Go to > Device Manager > Network adapters > select the whichever Wi-Fi Card your laptop has > right click the card Properties > Driver > Update Driver > Browse my computer for drivers > Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer > and then pick the latest Wi-Fi driver that is in that list, and reinstall that driver, as afterwards your Wi-Fi should work,

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• fdavejh

Thanks I ended up doing a full network refresh on the laptop and that resolved it BUT now I am getting a CRITICAL ERROR on the start menu and the machine just keeps rebooting 😪

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited September 18

You must have other issues with the Win-11 OS for that to happen, see this guide here "Critical Error: Windows 11/10 Startup Menu Not Working" as the start menu critical error is a pop-up given to users whose start menu files have become corrupted. A common message given is: "Critical Error – Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in".

Other reasons for the Windows start menu not working are interference from an anti-virus software, or glitches with your user account, etc.

Otherwise and if you can't fix this error, I suggest that you do a Clean Install of Win-11 23H2 as that is the best than fixing these errors. Don't forget if you do a clean install of the OS, to backup all your valuable data also. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• fdavejh

Thanks Steven , wish me luck on the reinstall