How to disable a discrete graphics card on an AN515-57 laptop?

Xleb4ikk
Xleb4ikk Member Posts: 2 New User

When the laptop is running on battery, then the integrated graphics and discrete graphics card work, and in total they consume almost 25 watts, and considering that the 57-watt battery is a huge consumption and 70% of this energy is a discrete graphics card. I tried to reset it through the BIOS, there was a black screen, I had to reset the BIOS, through the device manager, it seems to have disappeared, but it works, it can be seen from the temperature, it does not cool down at all, and the total consumption has not decreased. And of course I tried, through the nvidia control panel

Answers

• DGPU should not be used on battery power. In the Nvidia Control Panel, you may have selected "Nvidia High Performance" for all applications globally, instead of limiting it to specific high-demand applications like video editing and gaming.

Solution

1. Access Nvidia Control Panel:
      • Right-click on the desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel."
    2. Manage 3D Settings:
      • Navigate to "Manage 3D settings."
      • Under the "Global settings" tab, find the "Preferred graphics processor" option. Change this to "Integrated graphics" for battery usage.
    3. Program Settings:
      • Switch to the "Program settings" tab.
      • Add specific applications (e.g., video editing software, games) that require high performance.
      • For these applications, select "High-performance NVIDIA processor" and apply the changes.
    4. Power Management Mode:
      • In the same "Manage 3D settings" section, set the "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" for the selected applications only.

This configuration will help manage GPU usage effectively while on battery power, preserving battery life for less demanding tasks.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566