How can I add A315-24PT wireless device support to Linux mint 22?

dhdurgee
dhdurgee Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 14 in Aspire Laptops

I am running Linux mint 22, the latest release, on my new A315-24PT and have found that there is no support at present for the built-in Bluetooth or the built-in WiFi. Contacting mint support I am told they lack the information necessary to support the devices.

I have no immediate need for Bluetooth, but I have had to work around the WiFi problem with a supported USB WiFi dongle.

Is there a group at Acer that should be contacted for this? I would much prefer to be able to use the laptop as designed with the operating system I choose to use.

Dave

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,067 Pathfinder
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • dhdurgee

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28

I thank you for the pointer, however as best I can tell this is not for the adapter in my laptop. Here is the details from lspci for my WiFi:

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: MEDIATEK Corp. Device [14c3:7902]

So I have the MT7902 in my laptop and nowhere on the linked page is that mentioned.

Perhaps there is yet another driver available for the MT7902, perhaps mine needs to be added to the list of supported adapters. Please let me know what you find out on this.

Dave

• AnhEZ28

@dhdurgee
    https://github.com/samveen/mt7902-dkms
    Try this method or change the Wifi card to Intel AX210 that is currently supported by Linux.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • dhdurgee

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28

Yes, I am aware of that project, but as noted on that page it is not beyond the point of building and is not yet functional.

I was hoping that Acer would want their laptops working as built in all major operating environments. At this point I am disappointed at the level of support given to Linux, given it is the major alternative operating system to Microsoft's latest Windows.

As I noted earlier, I am currently using a USB WiFi dongle that is supported in Linux. It uses up one of only two USB ports on my laptop. I would like to have that port available for other use by using the WiFi built into the laptop.

Your hardware support department should either create Linux drivers for your laptops or should make the necessary information available to the Linux developers to allow them to create the drivers.

Thank you for anything you can do to correct this lack of support for Linux on your laptops.

Dave

• AnhEZ28

@dhdurgee

It is up to the manufacturer of this MT7902 WiFi card, Mediatek, not Acer. Another solution is to replace the current Mediatek MT7902 with Intel AX210.