Low beeping, Boot Failures, Fan and Keyboard issues in Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 Gaming Laptop

somerandomuserrr
somerandomuserrr Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 13 in Nitro Gaming

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can assist me in troubleshooting some issues I'm experiencing with my Acer Nitro AN515-46 gaming laptop. I've had it for approximately a year and a half now, and recently I've started noticing some rather strange problems that I had never encountered before.

The issues I'm encountering are as follows:
When I'm engaged in gaming or running a virtual machine, the fans spin up really fast as the CPU temps start to reach 95 degrees Celsius and I receive a BSOD with the error message "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". The laptop then becomes stuck on the blue screen and the fans continue to run very fast. I'm forced to manually press the power button to initiate a hard shutdown.

Upon attempting to restart the laptop, it fails to boot up properly. The keyboard backlight illuminates red, the fans spin for a couple of seconds, but the screen remains black and the keyboard is unresponsive. I'm required to press the power button for 20-30 seconds to turn it off again.

If I leave the laptop powered off for approximately an hour after a BSOD, it will eventually boot up normally, but it will restart 2-5 times before finally completing the boot process. However, if I attempt to engage in gaming or run a resource-intensive task, the BSOD will recur.

On occasion, the laptop will boot up normally after a BSOD without waiting for an hour, but it will only remain stable for a few minutes before the same BSOD recurs, even if I'm only performing light tasks such as browsing or general usage.

Every time this occurs, I notice the following:
BIOS settings are reset to their default values. The 'Keyboard backlight off after 30 seconds' option is enabled, requiring me to disable it every time. In Nitro Sense, I can control the fan speeds for the initial 15-20 minutes after booting up, but after that, I'm no longer able to control the fan speed or switch between quiet, default and performance modes, even when the battery is fully charged and the laptop is connected to the mains.

Another issue I'm experiencing is that the laptop almost always fails to POST and boot up normally, even after leaving it powered off for an extended period of time (24+ hours). The keyboard lights illuminate, the fans spin for a couple of seconds, but the screen remains black and the laptop is unresponsive. I'm forced to press the power button to restart it and then it will restart itself 2-5 times before finally completing the boot process.

Additionally, my laptop fails to enter sleep mode properly. When I attempt to put it to sleep, it will initially enter sleep mode, but after a couple of minutes, it will wake up again, even with the lid closed. The LED lights on the side and the keyboard lights will illuminate, but the laptop will be unresponsive. Again, I'm required to press the power button to turn it off.

The same issue occurs when I attempt to shut down the laptop - it won't shut down properly, and the keyboard lights will remain illuminated with quiet fan noise. Restarting also behaves similarly to shutting it down.

If I refrain from gaming or running resource-intensive tasks, the laptop functions normally. And when I've had a prolonged period of normal usage without a BSOD, I've found that I can shut down, restart or sometimes even put the laptop to sleep without any issues, and everything functions as expected. BIOS and other settings are also not reset, and fan control works all the time. But after 10-12 hours of this, I get the same BSOD and am required to wait an hour for it to boot up normally.

One thing to note is that when the laptop is powered on, everything functions normally and without issue until the BSOD occurs.

I've attempted to resolve these issues by taking the following steps:
1. Ensured that Windows, all device drivers and BIOS are up to date. I've installed drivers from Windows Update, Acer's website and the respective manufacturer's apps (NVIDIA and AMD). I've not installed any drivers from other sources.
2. Ran various diagnostic tests, including: Windows Memory Diagnostics check, SFC scan, Malware checks using Windows Defender, System diagnostics check using Performance Register, CHKDSK check, MemTest86 and so on. All of these tests and checks passed without returning any errors.
3. Performed a power drain by pressing the power button for 30 seconds while the laptop was powered off, then disconnected the battery, pressed the power button again for 30 seconds and reconnected the battery.
4. Carefully cleaned out dust from the fan, but found little dust accumulation.
5. Removed the RAM and reinstalled it to ensure proper seating.
6. Allowed the battery to fully drain to see if it would resolve the issue.
7. Carefully cleaned the old thermal paste, which had nearly turned to powder, and applied Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme thoroughly. This fixed almost everything for about 2-3 days, but then all the issues began to resurface and the CPU temps started to reach 95-96 degrees Celsius again.

Unfortunately, none of these steps have completely resolved the issues, and the problems persist. I'm still experiencing the same BSODs, boot issues and other problems mentioned earlier.

Thank you.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail to the title]

Answers