Intel Shared SRAM and Intel SMBus driver errors in Acer N50-640-EB15

misera
misera Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 12 in Nitro Gaming

Hello,
I've been having a lot of problems with my Acer N50-640-EB15 (desktop pc), which I got last December, and I'm literally starting to lose my mind. Games have been unplayable due to extreme lag, stuttering, and what looks and feels like rubber banding, basically since I got the PC. I originally thought it was due to internet problems and not the PC itself and I didn't rule that out completely until a couple months ago, so I never thought to return the pc originally.

I took my pc to a repair shop where they tested everything and couldn't find an issue. When I finally got my pc back after a month, it ran a bit better for awhile, then it progressively got worse again the more I used it and now it's back to being unable to run games like Overwatch 2 and even Osu! on the lowest possible settings. My temps are only hitting around 62c and stutters when it's at 50c so I know that isn't the issue. Even if I'm only watching streams of people playing these games my pc stutters.

It's a weird stutter, as if the video stops for a millisecond and then plays in fast forward for a second afterwards to catch up. The games don't even register any FPS drops or ping spikes or anything like that.

I've been using LatencyMon and everything looks fine except it's registering DPC Latency Spikes as well as Hard Pagefaults, which at one point was reporting 7,000pf/s (pagefaults/second) as the max. I have 16GB of RAM in my pc and I make sure to close every other program and anything running in the background before opening a game (even down to closing my keyboard and mouse software) and it doesn't matter if I'm using 30% of my memory or 70%, it still lags.

I have done a DDU clean install of my GPU driver several times, as did the repair shop, which made no difference, although, recently I updated my GPU driver as a new update was released and for a few hours afterwards, the lag problems got even worse (several seconds of the screen actually freezing), before eventually settling down some about an hour later.

LatencyMon says the DPC latency is a driver issue so I was trying to reinstall my drivers like my Network drivers and things that are often found to be problematic, although I am quite out of my depth attempting to do this and none of the driver names listed on the Acer driver page actually match the name of the driver in Device Manager, so I'm not even sure I've done it correctly.

While doing this, I discovered that 2 devices listed under System Devices, Intel® Shared SRAM - 7AA7 and Intel® SMBus - 7AA3 both say under the resources tab in properties, "This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem." I searched for info on this and others with issues with these drivers were told they needed to be found from their manufacturer's websites and not Intel, and could be found with their chipset drivers, so I downloaded the chipset driver listed on my Acer page and tried to reinstall that, but it did not change anything and the error is still there. (to do this, all I did was download and extract it, then double click on the setup file, I did not delete anything prior so it's definitely possible I did not do this correctly)

From my understanding these are very important drivers, and the fact that one of them says SRAM tells me this is likely the exact cause of why I'm having so many issues with stuttering and lag when it appears that everything on my pc is fine.

I have no idea what I am doing from here. If anyone knows how I can reinstall these drivers, or get them working again so that there they aren't displaying this error anymore please let me know.

I am mentally exhausted from spending months trying to figure this out, hearing everyone say the same things over and over about my internet, NVIDIA drivers, or that it's my temps spiking, so please explain it to me like I'm 5 with clear step by step instructions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Image of the error included (It looks the exact same for both drivers so I just attached one), and sorry this msg is so friggin long, I just wanted to be as clear and detailed as possible while still being concise (there are many things other things I've tried that had no effect).

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,414 Trailblazer

Have you considered updating to the last bios version: R01-B1 which is titled “Update CRB version to CRB57, iRST version to 19.5.0.5676, GOP version to 17.0.1077, CSME version to 16.1.25.1932v3 and MCU to m_03_90672_00000025” as the bios version and fixes for this desktop are accumulative and the last bios version also includes all the previous fixes of the bios versions before that Acer outlines.

Note: there is a Firmware “TypeC PDFW_V003” version: V003 install this too.

If you have done all the windows updates have installed all its optional driver firmwares (if this desktop has any from windows update) and installed the Nvidia GeForce Experience software and you download the graphics drivers through that and play your games through this software setting, I can’t see anything else except the bios update that can make a difference to the performance of your desktop. Otherwise you might have a hardware fault issue like ram or a cpu or a gpu that is faulty. See if all this will fix these problems. Good luck and hope this helps you out and let us know how you make out with this problem.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• misera

Ty for the replying! I did already try updating the BIOS and I'm currently on R01-B1. I have also done all of the windows updates too and all of my hardware has been tested and found no faults with it. I even upgraded the RAM bc I thought maybe the issue was I didn't have enough originally, so it's been a problem on 2 different sets of RAM. The original RAM that came with the PC was not tested, but the new sticks were.

Is it possible to try reinstalling the BIOS then if that's where these INTEL SMBus and Shared SRAM devices are from? The first time I updated the BIOS it was by accident through windows updates when I started having issues, and I'm worried that maybe it didn't install properly or something? I'm not sure.

Also I'm really not sure how to reinstall or update the BIOS outside of accidentally updating through windows updates, so would you mind explaining it, if you think that is something I should do?

• StevenGen

You have the last bios version installed so its not the bios, as a bios either works or it doesn’t, and if the bios flash was corrupted your desktop wouldn’t boot. Also if you try to reflash the bios the bios software will not allow a reflash to the same bios version. For the bios flash, there is an extensive bios PDF guide in this desktops bios version R01-B1 Appendix folder that guides you how to flash the bios.

The only thing that I can narrow it down to is a bad chipset or EC chip, try to reset these chips by taking the bios battery out and even changing the button battery to a new one and then do a Clear CMOS as shown below. Otherwise, the mainboard could be faulty, and I suggest that you replace the mainboard. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• misera

yea they already cleared the cmos at the repair place and I literally have no idea what any of that means. i'm not very technical.
    Thanks

• StevenGen
    edited September 13

If you want to go to the length of changing the mainboard to a new one, then a new N50-640 mobo is selling at Acer Canada for $288.05 ($391.16 CAD) or around that price.

Or you have a chaise of upgrading to a better mainboard like with a Z690 chipset mATX size with a size board with the (see this comparison B660 or the Z690 chipsets) as the Z690 is a better board and its a gaming board that will fit into your N50-640 oem Acer case, as you will only need to buy a new 24pin plug for a new PSU as you will be able to use all the cpu, gpu, ram, and HDDs for the new mainboard. You can try that out as imo its the mainboard that is faulty and that is why you are having all these problems with the desktop.