TC 1785 BIOS Update broke Windows partition

emveepee
emveepee Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited September 12 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I just did the BIOS 1.0.4 update and after the BIOS upgrade my Windows partition is not working. The second partition with Linux is working fine. In boot options Windows Boot Manager has disappeared and when I try to boot to the Windows partition from grub into the Windows partition it simply gives me an option to repair but then says cannot repair.

Gparted shows the same partitions I had before.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• emveepee

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

False alarm, overnight I remembered that I forgot to use the hidden ctrl-s to turn on AHCI mode. All good with 1.0.4 now.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,439 Trailblazer
    edited September 12

Why did you update the bios? As that bios version 1.04 is only for support if you are ever going to upgrade or have the NVidia RTX4070S gpu and has nothing to do with an oem TC-1785 desktop that operates perfectly and you probably will never ever have this gpu fitted. Your desktop has its oem GT750 GDDR3 2GB or ARC 380 GDDRR 6GB gpu fitted, and the bios version 1.04 doesn’t improve your desktop performance in any way unless you have the NVidia RTX4070S gpu fitted.

Also, the TC-1785 desktop only has a max oem 500W PSU as its mobo has Acer proprietary ATX 8pin and 6 pin power plugs and can't be upgraded easily without a special adapter cable to a 24pin PSU to fit an RTX4070S, the RTX4070S gpu has a TDP of 220W (that requires a minimum power of 220W) and a desktop system with an RTX4070S gpu will need at least a 600W PSU to work properly, but on a TC-1785 with all the peripherals that it has the recommended PSU for a desktop with the RTX4070S gpu is a 750W PSU .

Unfortunately, you will have to reinstall Win-11 on the Gen 4 x4 lane M.2 SSD (or Linux) or whichever OS you use most and want to put onto this M.2 SSD drive, and put either Win-11 or Linux on the other SATA 3 3.5" or 2.5" SSD SATA drive to make sure that this doesn't happen again. Do not have a dual boot as this is what happens. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Acer fitted Aspire TC1785 oem gpu's and PSU's

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Hello! What happens when you restore the bios settings? It is possible that the bios update has changed some settings.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer

When you did the Linux install, did you make any changes to the BIOS? You will have to redo those changes if so, since the new BIOS set everything back to the defaults used in a Windows environment.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • emveepee

Tinkerer

I actually wanted the 1.0.3 patch to fix the broken Intel CPU which is essential to avoid returning the CPU later one and it made sense to me to use the higher number. I have now reverted to 1.0.2 (using a windows2Go USB) but it is still not booting so I am thinking the Windows partition needs a chkdsk but I have to figure out how to enable local drives.

```
    nvme0n1p6: _____________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
    Boot sector type:  NTFS
    Boot sector info:  According to the info in the boot sector, nvme0n1p6 
                       starts at sector 545945600. But according to the info 
                       from fdisk, nvme0n1p6 starts at sector 2274720530.
    Operating System:  
    Boot files:   

After dual booting Linux for more than a decades I will disregard telling me dual boot is a bad idea. I use Linux more than Windows.

I can't restore BIOS default because I need AHCI to use the disk in Linux.

• emveepee

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

False alarm, overnight I remembered that I forgot to use the hidden ctrl-s to turn on AHCI mode. All good with 1.0.4 now.

• billsey

Great! That's kind of what I expected, the defaults will enable iRST and you have to jump through hoops in Linux to get that support.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • emveepee

Tinkerer

Since Linux worked but Windows didn't the hoops were in Windows when no RST drivers are installed. Why they have to hide this BIOS option and force ctrl-s defies explanation.

• The engineers have left this option hidden so that users do not change this setting, which will prevent Windows from booting if the change is not made correctly. To change the rst mode to ahci, you must first enable Windows safeboot. But many users do not know this information.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • emveepee

Tinkerer

First will a vanilla Windows install even boot into RST mode without the drivers? Even then, with safeboot off and export mode on there should be no need to hide this and and force users to search and find out about ctrl-s.

• billsey

A vanilla Windows install will wait at the "where do you want to install" prompt until you manually load the iRST drivers, at which point the storage devices will appear. There is no reason to disable safeboot at that point, that is only used if you, for some reason, want to try and load an untrusted EFI file.

• emveepee

Tinkerer

I figure any user who would be confused by seeing a prompt to disable RST not have just as much trouble loading the RST drivers. Expert mode should be for expert, again my concern is how hidden ctrl-s is.

Because of Windows nonsense in KB5041585 you also have to disable safeboot to boot Linux afterwards.