Laptop has a burn or smoke smell from the vent on bottom and does not turn on. Any ideas?

Pete79
Pete79 Member Posts: 1 Newbie
edited September 11 in Swift and Spin Series

Laptop has a burn or smoke smell from the vent on the bottom and does not turn on. Any ideas?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,414 Trailblazer

Your laptop needs to be taken to a technician so that the laptop is opened and analyze which of its mobo circuitries have shorted/burned out, as something must have burned inside and if you are lucky, it can be repaired if you are not lucky and the chip like a mosat, capacitor has weeded itself to the mainboard then it can either be dug out with a special Dremel tool or the mainboard will need to be replaced. Good luck and hope this works out positive for you.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,374 Trailblazer

Which laptop do you have? Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like xxxxx-xxx-xxxx. There are any number of possible issues, but the smell doesn't sound good at all.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 500

Sounds like it's overheating to the point that it's melting or burning something. Could be blocked/malfunctioning heatsink causing CPU to overheat, could be power supply, could be other things… I have seen computers smoke when they get dirty and heat up due to the lack of airflow. Check the battery of your laptop. Overheating batteries can cause a burning smell, so make sure that the battery is not swollen or damaged in any way. If it is, you should stop using the laptop and replace the battery as soon as possible. Inspect the charger and charging port of your laptop.

———————————————

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful.