Dedicated graphics RTX 3060 does not detect sometimes, even in Bios (Predator PH315-53)

Yum
Yum Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 11 in Predator Laptops

Hi, My laptop Predator PH315-53, i7-10th gen has RTX 3060 which stops working all of a sudden while playing games or sometimes in idle state also. The laptop stops responding and on restart in bios I can see the GPU1 section shows unknown. On 2-3 restarts this section starts to show RTX 3060 back again. This is become more frequent now after 2 years of usage. Any suggestions? This laptop is always connected to my monitor via the HDMI cable so I can identify immediately when it NVidia GPU stops working.
I have tried driver updates and in-between it had gone to the service center also where they updated the BIOS due to a separate issue. But this issue was from the beginning, now it has become more frequent.
When the GPU stops responding and the laptop reboots, in device manager I can see it shows only the Intel GPU, but when everything is working fine it shows both the GPU in device manger and task manager.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,414 Trailblazer
    edited September 11

If you have the last bios version: 2.04 installed titled “1. Support GPU VRAM over temperature protection” and you don't have the gpu firmware installed then upgrade the gpu firmware version: v101a titled "Update Nvidia discrete VGA VBIOS and improve performance" and see if that will update the usability of the GPU as it probably needs this firmware and that is why the gpu is only being detected partially and not always.

Otherwise and if this firmware was installed and you install it and the gpu is still not detected reliably and constantly, your NVidia gpu is faulty and will stop working and unfortunately on these laptops the gpu is soldered onto the mainboard and a new gpu can't be refitted as they are not sold and you either just get a technician to disable the Nivida gpu and only use the Intel graphics of the cpu or you change the mainboard, those are your choices. good luck and hope this has helped you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 500

Go to Power Options(right click battery icon in Taskbar), click "Choose what the Power buttons do" in the left pane, click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" in the next window, uncheck "Turn on fast start-up" and click save changes, turn off the laptop, disconnect from mains, remove any USB sticks, external HDDs, external mouse etc. then press Power Button for 12 Seconds, leave the laptop to rest for 15 Mins, reconnect AC adapter and fully charge the battery, try again to see whether it helps.

—————————————————

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful.