Predator Orion 3000 pos-640 flashing red light and clicking noise and wont turn on.

Wyethblumberg
Wyethblumberg Member Posts: 0 Newbie

Hi, to give background I was using my desktop to play some games and it was working fine. I then shut it down normally and went to eat dinner for roughly 30 minutes to an hour. When I came back my desktop had flashing red lights inside the case and was making a continuous sort of low beep or clicking noise in time with the lights. There was no power outage or anything that I noticed during the time when I was eating. I don't know what could have possibly happened to cause this while I was gone. I left it unplugged over night but when i plugged it back in this morning it was still doing the same thing. I should also mention that in addition to the lights and the noise the CPU fan is spinning, I can't remember if this is normal so I thought I should mention it.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,414 Trailblazer
    edited September 11

Do a reset of the desktop mobo, take the RTC/BIOS battery out and clear CMOS like the guide below shows then reconnect the bios battery circled. This should reset the EC (Embedded Controller) programmed chip of the mobo and restore the proper reboot your desktop. If it dosent then you have other power problem or mobo power rail problems that you need to get a technician to diagnose and pinpoint the exact problem and fix components properly.

This is an appropriate troubleshooting tip for you to do from the PO3-640 service guide so do this too.

"Power is on, fans are running but there is no display"

1. Make sure the monitor is turned on and the monitor cable is properly connected to the PC.
    2. Check the VGA adapter card (if applicable) is inserted properly.
    3. Listen for beep sounds. If you are using internal PC speaker make sure it is connected. a. continuous beeping : memory not detected b. 1 long beep and 2 short beeps looping : VGA not detected

What does the programmed EC chip do:

• Embedded Controller (EC): This is a microcontroller on the motherboard that handles various low-level tasks such as power management, keyboard control, and system monitoring. It often works independently of the main CPU.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,374 Trailblazer

The symptoms sound like an issue with the power supply to me. Do you have the skills and tools to test voltages from the PSU? I assume by "pos-640" you actually mean PO5-640 (Predator Orion 5000)? If so there is an old standard 24 pin connector for the PSU to connect to the motherboard, plus an 8 pin auxiliary power connector. The 24 pin is standard for the older style ATX supplies, so the pinouts are well documented, the auxiliary has +12V and ground in pairs on it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.