Guide to choose a laptop for 3D Scanning and Modelling, Key specs to consider?

Emily09
Emily09 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 9 in Aspire Laptops

Hello everyone! Recently, I am going to buy a laptop for study purposes, but I am a little confused about the configuration selection. I hope to get your suggestions.

My main needs are to run the 3D scanning software Revo Scan 5 and the 3D modeling software Blender. These software have high requirements for computer performance, so I want to confirm the following aspects:

CPU: Do I need a multi-core processor? Which model is more suitable?
Graphics card: What are the specific requirements for the graphics card? NVIDIA or AMD is better?
Memory: Is 16GB enough, or does it need to be larger?
Storage: What are the recommendations for SSD capacity? Do I need to consider hybrid storage?
My budget is probably in the middle and high end, and I want to find a balance between performance and price.

Thank you very much for your help, and look forward to your suggestions!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail to the title]

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,424 Pathfinder
    edited September 10

CPU

For running Revo Scan 5 and Blender, a multi-core processor is recommended. The Intel Core i7 or AMD Ryzen 7 series are good choices that provide strong performance for 3D applications.

Graphics Card

Revo Scan 5 requires a graphics card that supports OpenGL 4.0 or higher. Both NVIDIA and AMD have suitable options. Look for a dedicated graphics card with at least 4GB of video memory. The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 or AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT are good mid-range options that balance performance and price.

Memory

16GB of RAM is the minimum recommended for Revo Scan 5 and Blender. However, 32GB will provide better performance, especially when working with large 3D models or point clouds. If your budget allows, opt for 32GB of RAM.

Storage

fast SSD is essential for optimal performance. Look for a 512GB or larger SSD for your operating system and applications. Additionally, consider a 1TB or larger HDD for storing your 3D scans and projects. Hybrid storage solutions that combine an SSD and HDD are also an option, but not necessary if you have separate SSD and HDD drives. Recommended laptop configurations that balance performance and price:

• Acer Predator Helios 300 with CPU Intel Core i7-12700H, GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 or RTX 3070 Ti (depending on the configuration)

For future proof and newest technology consider-

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 (PHN16-71 or PHN16-72)

This price difference reflects the Helios Neo 16's newer technology compare to helios 300, including the RTX 4060 GPU and improved performance metrics. I did't add this model in recommended because it may not be that price effective because of newest and latest model of Predator series.

Remember to check the specific system requirements for Revo Scan 5 and Blender to ensure compatibility. With a mid-to-high-end configuration, you'll be able to run these 3D applications smoothly while staying within your budget.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566