Acer Aspire VX 15 VX5-591G-53Y0.Why is the maximum memory capacity in this laptop 32GB

Tarasius
Tarasius Member Posts: 9 New User
edited September 10 in Aspire Laptops

I know this question has already been asked on the forum, but I still want to hear a reasoned answer. Why is the maximum memory capacity in this laptop 32GB if the processor and motherboard support 64GB (I added a screenshot). I want to upgrade my laptop from 8GB to 32GB or 64GB. I also know that the maximum memory speed that is supported is 2400MHz, but if I buy memory with a speed of 2666MHz-3200MHz, will it drop to 2400MHz or will the processor automatically overclock to a specific memory speed?

I also have a question about SSDs, which of the two options is better to choose for the best perfomance:

1. 1TB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 V-NAND MLC SSD (for the system) + 1TB 2.5" SATA III V-NAND 3bit MLC (TLC) (for games)
    Or
  2. 2TB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 V-NAND MLC (1GB separately for the system and 1GB for the games)

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The reason why your Aspire VX5-591G is restricted to 32GB @ 2x 16GB DDR4 2133/2400 modules is because Acer has tested this laptop with 64GB and 32GB max total is the most reliable capacity that this laptop will operate with. DO NOT upgrade to 64GB as this latop will not work with that capacity.

A good guide is Crucial Ram see Acer Aspire VX5-591G-75RM RAM & SSD Upgrades as they also have and recommend 32GB max total for this laptop as usually they will recommend and guarantee the 64GB max capacity for all laptops/desktop’s if they can the Aspire VX5-591G will work with 64GB max total, so be aware of these factors.

The Aspire VX5-591G has a 1x PCIe Gen3x4 drive slot and has provision for a 1x 2.5” SATA 3 HDD or 2.5” SATA SSD and it can operate with 1TB or 2TB M.2 SSDs, the best and quickest tested Read/Write M.2 SSD drives are here in this test done by Tom’s Hardware for 1Tb,2TB and 4TB M.2 SSD drives at SSD Benchmarks Hierarchy 2024so look at this test as they have tested 1TB,2TB and 4TB M.2 SSD drives .

Quickest PCIe3 x4 lane M.2 drives are:

1TB - Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB

2TB - Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB

4TB - Sabrent Rocket Q 8TB or WD Red SN700 4TB

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,741 Trailblazer
    edited September 9

Hi, The CPU specs are completely independent from the Acer motherboard RAM controller specs, CPUs always support much mor RAM than what the RAM controller can handle (different for DDR5 RAM). Also, the choice of RAM modules and pairing of two modules are important what the controller will support. Crucial and SK Hynix SODIMMs are recommended, avoid modules with XMP profiles. Ram will run at 2400MHz maximum in Dual Channel mode as that is the clock speed, regardless of what RAM you have installed, 2666 or 3200MHZ. Why don't you install a NVMe Gen3 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB SSD in the M.2 PCIe slot and replace the 2.5" HDD for a 2TB Samsung 870 EVO V-NAND 2.5" Sata-3 SSD?

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓

The reason why your Aspire VX5-591G is restricted to 32GB @ 2x 16GB DDR4 2133/2400 modules is because Acer has tested this laptop with 64GB and 32GB max total is the most reliable capacity that this laptop will operate with. DO NOT upgrade to 64GB as this latop will not work with that capacity.

A good guide is Crucial Ram see Acer Aspire VX5-591G-75RM RAM & SSD Upgrades as they also have and recommend 32GB max total for this laptop as usually they will recommend and guarantee the 64GB max capacity for all laptops/desktop’s if they can the Aspire VX5-591G will work with 64GB max total, so be aware of these factors.

The Aspire VX5-591G has a 1x PCIe Gen3x4 drive slot and has provision for a 1x 2.5” SATA 3 HDD or 2.5” SATA SSD and it can operate with 1TB or 2TB M.2 SSDs, the best and quickest tested Read/Write M.2 SSD drives are here in this test done by Tom’s Hardware for 1Tb,2TB and 4TB M.2 SSD drives at SSD Benchmarks Hierarchy 2024so look at this test as they have tested 1TB,2TB and 4TB M.2 SSD drives .

Quickest PCIe3 x4 lane M.2 drives are:

1TB - Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB

2TB - Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB

4TB - Sabrent Rocket Q 8TB or WD Red SN700 4TB

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Tarasius

Thanks for the answer, it's strange that in aida 64, the north bridge also supports 64gb, but in fact (as indicated everywhere) only 32gb. Regarding ssd, I'm just considering these models :) but I'm not sure which of the two options will be better for maximum performance:

1. NVMe Gen3 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB SSD in the M.2 PCIe slot (for the system) + replace the 2.5" HDD for a 2TB Samsung 870 EVO V-NAND 2.5" Sata-3 SSD (for games)
      Or
    2. only one NVMe Gen3 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB SSD for the whole system, dividing 2GB by 1GB separately for programs and games.

Perhaps the second option will be better, because the speed of this SSD will affect the overall performance, including games, and not just programs and the system. Because Samsung 870 EVO V-NAND 2.5" Sata-3 SSD is slower than the NVMe Gen3 Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

• Puraw

I would advise the 1st option as that has been tested, a 2TB M.2 NVMe has not been tried, only 500GB but I believe 1TB should work too.

• Tarasius

Thank you for your answer and recommendations, as far as I understand, theoretically it will run on 64GB, but the system will not be stable and there may be problems in the future?

• Puraw

Yes, Acer recommended maximum supported RAM is 32GB, 16GB/slot, you always go by the vendor laptop specs not by 3rd-party apps like AIDA that use the CPU specs. Even Kingston tested up to 32GB RAM for this model.

• Tarasius

As for the RAM, I have already ordered G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GB (2x16GB) SO-DIMM DDR4 2400 MHz, as in my region hynix and crucial are almost out of stock, and where they are, they are sold at an unreasonably high price, almost three times more expensive than G.Skill :(

• Puraw

I would avoid modules with XMP profile, those modules you mention are Standard JEDEC and Intel’s XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) for overclocking. BIOS does not support overclocking.

• Tarasius

Thank you for the advice, you helped a lot, I forgot that this laptop is a little old :) and may not support such a large amount of memory.

• Tarasius

I hope the system will run on them, or can there be problems?

• Puraw

Since your BIOS version 1.08 is 5 years old and does not support any form of overclocking I recommend that you stick with Standard JEDEC modules like in the Kingston link I sent you, you can try the Ripjaws with XMP but BIOS may not detect the modules.

• Tarasius

Thank you, I canceled the order, I will look for standart RAM without XMP. Last question, I know that my laptop does not support PCIe 4.0 x4 speeds, but in your opinion, is it better to buy a Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 to unlock the maximum speed of the PCIe 3.0 slot? The Samsung 990 Pro 1TB is only $25 more expensive than the Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB. I have seen test results where the Samsung 990 Pro in a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot shows the following results: 3732 read/ 3520 write.

• StevenGen
    edited September 10

I'm using the Samsung 970 EVO Plus on my Nitro AN515-56 and this is the DiskMark benchmarck test on that

Your benchmark test above is interesting to see how a Gen 4 x4 M.2 drive (which is backward compatible to a Gen 3 slot) performs in a Gen 3 x4 laptop slot, its a bit quicker in comparison to a genuine Gen 3 x4 M.2 drive, so definitely and if the Samsung 1TB 990 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 M.2 drive (which has a tested Read: 6900MB/s Write: 6800MB?s) and is only $25 dollars more than the 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, then its 100% worth you buying and fitting the Gen 4 1TB Samsung drive as whenever you upgrade to a different and newer laptop or desktop that has a Gen 4 boot drive you can use the 1TB 990 Pro.

Just to compare, here are the benchmarks on my 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus that I've been using, btw and what I've noticed, is that the Gen3 x4 M.2 drives are getting more expensive as they are not being made by manufacturers and used with new PCs and they are getting phased out. I've been using my 1TB 970 EVO Plus for like 2.5 years and its still performing perfectly with my Nitro AN515-56 and the below benchmark test was just taken now and this is the performance I'm getting from a 2.5 year old M.2 drive with CrystalDiskMark and Samsung Magician M.2 Read/Write speed testing. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Note: that the CrystalDiskMark benchmark below is of a 1TB with 16% data on it and used in a laptop as its boot drive while your 1TB 990 Pro M.2 drive is a slave E: drive and has no data on it and has 0% data on it, which could make the benchmark quicker.

CrystalDiskMark v8.0.4 x64 for the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB benchmark

Samsung Magician v8.1 for the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB benchmark

• Tarasius

Thank you very much for your advice and reply, now I know what I should buy to upgrade :) Good luck to you too :)