Predator PHN16-71 keeps crashing with "nvldmkm" error constantly.

yash5chandrakar
yash5chandrakar Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I bought this laptop a year ago with RTX 4050 GPU and been having this problem for 3 months now.

Anytime i play games or do GPU intensive tasks, GPU keeps crashing with nvldmkm error. Whole Error Description is below :

The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Restarting TDR occurred on GPUID:100

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

So Far i have tried the following :

1. DDU uninstall in safe mode and installed the latest drivers and also tried OEM drivers.
  2. Updated Windows, reinstalled windows, Windows Update to the latest.
  3. Checked power settings, its always in High Performance Mode with Link State OFF.
  4. Updated BIOS to latest version.
  5. Performed Clean Boot.

I also Went to ACER service center and got told "Replace the Motherboard" and all problems will be "fixed" as if i can do that lol.

I am also attaching GPU-Z Logs if it helps.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Yash

Avid Gamer

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,418 Pathfinder
    edited September 8

The nvlddmkm error you're experiencing with your RTX 4050 GPU is a common issue that can stem from various causes, including driver problems, overheating, or hardware malfunctions. Here are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

Recommended Solutions

1. Driver Rollback: Since you have already updated the drivers, consider rolling back to an earlier version that was stable. Users have reported success with driver version 537.42 from September 2023.
    2. Underclocking the GPU: Some users have resolved similar issues by using software like MSI Afterburner to reduce the GPU clock speed. A reduction of around -75 MHz has been effective for some.
    3. Check for Overheating: Monitor your GPU temperatures using tools like HWMonitor. Ensure that your laptop is well-ventilated and consider using a cooling pad if temperatures are high.
    4. Power Settings: Double-check your power settings to ensure they are set to High Performance and that PCI Express Link State Power Management is turned off.

Mostly looks like driver related but If these steps do not resolve the issue, consider consulting with a professional technician from acer, as hardware replacement may be necessary. Hurry up if you are under warranty.

Use below link to contact Acer customer care directly-

support.acer.com

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,734 Trailblazer

Hi, after you uninstalled the display driver in Safe Mode with DDU you should not reinstall the driver again that probably caused the problem, just reboot and let Windows install a compatible driver. Redo the uninstall procedure again with DDU, both display drivers, and just reboot.

• yash5chandrakar
    yash5chandrakar Member Posts: 2 New User

I have done that exactly as you said. But still the error is persisting.

• Ritwiz
    Ritwiz Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

My GPU keeps crashing as well. Definitely a motherboard manufacturing issue. However, acer refuses to help out or even provide goodwill repair because my laptop is 5 months over warranty.

I have logs till kingdom come and I'm currently making a video documenting the entire thing. I suggest you do the same.